Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite clumping bamboo?

Posted by fluffy_bamboo Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 0:36

I have Black, Golden & Alphonse Karr Bamboo and wanted to add another one. I would perfer that it was clumping and not very tall. I don't want to hassle with anymore barriers and the moment. What are your favorites?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite clumping bamboo?

Bambusa vulgaris "Wamin" is my favorite...a bit cold sensitive though.

o

Try Bambusa chungii var. barbelatta or Otatea acuminata ssp. aztecorum MEXICAN WEEPING.

Both grow here to a height of about 18 feet tall, similar to Al Karr. They would be great additions to your collection.

The chungii has bluish culms and the mexican weeping bamboo has very thin drooping leaves.

Kt

o

My Fargesia Rufa.

There it is, laughing in the face of an ice storm. Only about 10% leaf loss, and we had wind chills around -15F a few times.

It's also got 50+ new shoots now.

o

Thank you. I will check them out. Great picture of the bamboo in the snow. Wouldn't happen here in Southern Calif.

o

Vitatta is a nice one too. Nice yellow cane with a dark green leaf. I second the Wamin too. Baby Buddhas my favorite though.

Here is an older pic up close of my Buddha-
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And the Wamin-
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here