Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I control my Borinda fungosa?

Posted by echolane SFBayMidPen (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 2:11

About 5-6 years ago, I planted three modest clumps of this bamboo. Now they're beginning to scare me with their spread! The largest clump is now about 4'x4' or more in diameter and threatening to topple the two-high cement block retaining wall it is expanding toward.

What can I do to inhibit/halt the spread of this bamboo? I read somewhere that clumpers are immensely powerful in their expansion and hard to contain. I hope their is a solution besides digging.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I control my Borinda fungosa?

I don't think that clumpers are immensely powerful and hard to contain. Admittedly, B. fungosa does seem to spread a little further than most clumpers, but it will stop when it runs up against the retaining wall...unless it's a very poorly built retaining wall. I have a large B. fungosa and it's been planted right next to my house for years. It hasn't done a thing to the foundation and I don't expect it to.

However, if you don't want the clump to get larger in diameter, there is no option but to take out some of the growth.

o

Thanks for the reply, which is somewhat reassuring with respect to the retaining wall. But I did underestimate the size of the clump which is more like 6'x6'. Which means I really need to control its spread regardless of my worries about the retaining wall.

So do I lop off the culms to the ground until I get the size I want (say 4'x4'), and then dig down just enough to destroy the buds? Or do I need to dig out the roots wherever I've amputated the tops?

o

If you just take out the top growth, it will keep expanding underground. Unless you have a specialized tool like a bamboo spade, the best approach is to cut back all the top growth you don't want so it is out of the way, and then chop down into the ground to sever and remove the roots. This will be somewhat hard and you may need an axe, a pickaxe, and a root pruning saw. A SawzAll with a long blade may help (you will probably go through several blades).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here