Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learo2000gt

Buying bamboo from craigs list.. questions of quality

learo2000gt
16 years ago

I typically buy my bamboo from a local nursery and I have had great luck. On a wim I searched craigs list and found a local selling bamboo at a great price. How can I tell if the grower knows what he is doing. One point of concern is that I see that they say that it was dug this spring. Isnt it best to pot bamboo after the sproting season?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/grd/649296716.html

Thanks in advance

Doug

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

I normally don't buy from eBay or craigslist, but I took a look at the pictures in your link, and I think these people probably know what they are doing. They have a lot of bamboo, it's in established plantings, rather than growing in some field, and the potted up specimens look fine.

I've dug bamboo as late as now and it has been fine. Any stress with a potted bamboo will show up within a week or two. and since you can go and inspect and select, I think this is a safe bet. You're right, the prices are very good. It's hard to see where you could go wrong. If I didn't already have good size clumps of these species, I'd be heading there myself.

The only issue I would check on is to enquire whether there is any evidence of bamboo mites. This causes loss of some of the pigmentation of the leaves. It's very common with groves in people's yards. In fact, it's a problem I have to deal with continually with my bamboo plantings, and I think I know what I'm doing!. Bamboo mites are not fatal to the plants; it just makes the leaves somewhat splotchy, and it's difficult to eradicate completely.

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kudzu9... once again thanks. I should send you a consulting fee or somthing. I am going to call today or tommorow. Thanks for the input ... .Doug

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Doug-
    Happy to consult. Good luck. If you follow up with visiting there, I'd be interested to hear back with your impressions.

One last thought. I don't know how far you have to travel, but, since some of those divisions look pretty good size, you'll need to protect them from windburn driving home. You could get a perfectly healthy plant but dessicate the foliage on the drive back. If you are going to be traveling any distance, and the bamboo is not fully enclosed, you can take twine and do a tight spiral rap from bottom to top so that the leaves and branches are tight against the culms and won't whip around in the 60 mph breeze. You can also use something like plastic wrap to do this, but leave plenty of air openings as you could also cook your bamboo if it's fully wrapped and can't breathe.

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey thanks for the inof. Driving from Federal way to south tacoma area. I will get some twine.

I will let you know how it goes. You want some pics?

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Yes, pictures would be great if you have a chance.

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kudzu9....

I ened up getting 1o containers. There was negro. I aslo got some spieces that has very broad leaves?? Then I got a spices that has a kink in it that is pretty neat. I think he had some other stuff mixed in as well. IT was real big containers and they were around 20 feet long. I sure hope it takes. It was an absolute steel at the price. He was a real nice guy and even gave me a lower price being that I baught 10 containers.

I would like help identifing the specices that I ended up. Do you have email and I can take some pics tommorow and email them to you.

Thanks

Doug

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Doug-
    Sounds like you really scored! I believe that you have Phyllostachys nigra (Black bamboo); Pseudosasa japonica (Arrow bamboo) with the broad leaves; and possibly Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Alata' which has the kinks. Take a look at the link below which has photos of these bamboo and see if I'm right (go to the bottom of the linked page and scroll through the box with the alphabetical list of names):

Here is a link that might be useful: bambooweb.info

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeh I think you are correct. Do you know which ones are runners or clumpers? That could effect where I put them on my land... thanks again for all your help.

Doug

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Doug-
    Most bamboo in the PNW are running bamboo, and all three of yours are. Don't panic, though. I've got about 60 bamboo in my yard, and I manage to control them all with annual rhizome pruning, rather than trying to use barriers. If you tell me where you would like to put them, and how close you would be to property lines, flower beds, etc., I may be able to give you some more advice.

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going to put one set about 20 feet from the propert line. THe others going to go on the property line but they boarder a town right of way that gets no use.. so if it runs in there I am not worried about it. THanks Doug. It is not around any flower beds or grass.

Having some targo delivered thursday then I will plant them and hope they take.

Thanks

DOug

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Doug-
    Twenty feet from the property line is no problem. Runners are not going to travel that far without surfacing or putting up new shoots well before that. You should have no problems maintaining the bamboo with a little annual rhizome pruning, if needed. Good luck...enjoy!

• learo2000gt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again.....for all your help...

Doug

• flora2
    16 years ago

Thank you both for the info. I was reading with great interest because I love bamboo too.
    Learo2000gt: Could you be so kind as to send me the name of the person (business) you bought the bamboo from? I'd love to get some broad- leaf bamboo for a container. I have had some in a container for years (not broad leaf) and it seems to be happy. My e-mail: flholmes1@aol.com
    I hope your plants are thriving. Thanks so much

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm