Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetative Cloning

Posted by eastdallasmatt Dallas, TX (8a) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 2:40

I have a hard time spending $70 per 3 gal plant and having it shipped half way across the country, when I see bamboo all around me.

Is it possible clone bamboo by using vegetative cloning? (By taking a leaf or culm cutting, dipping it into cloning hormone, and rooting it in soil, rockwool, or perlite.)

I've read about the cloning method where you dig up the rhizome. I have some experience with acquiring cuttings from strangers, I'm afraid I might not get a warm response if I show up at someone's door with shovel asking for some of their bamboo.

I built a collection of over 100 varieties of cacti and succulents by getting cuttings from strangers, and it's a lot easier to tell someone you just need to cut off one pad or segment.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetative Cloning

Yep, I think there's a way to do it but only a few know how to. I heard that not too long ago a woman here in the PNW cracked the formula to the vegetative cloning of bamboo and well...now she's basically rich because large companies are offering her $$$ for the method.

o

are you asking about tissue culture cloning or something else. You can propagate clumping bamboos with culm cuttings because the energy for growth is stored in the nodes. You might want to search out bamboo tissue culture.

o

You have to realize that there are over 1200 varieties of bamboo out there, so the kind you purchase is likely not the kind you see growing wild or commonly grown in someone's yard.

The more rare varieties are the expensive ones. Clumpers seem to be easiest to reproduce using culm or limb cuttings, but even then, you won't have a sellable plant for up to a year, so the price can still be high.

Kt

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 22:21

Culm cuttings don't work on running bamboo, which are the majority of the species available in the U.S. You can propagate running bamboo from pieces of rhizome, but the success rate is highly variable, and it can take more than a year to get a modest size plant.

Also, why are you "having it shipped halfway across the country" when there are a number of bamboo sellers in Texas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here