Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blewb

Clumping bamboo question

blewb
16 years ago

How well does clumping bamboo stay clumped? I'd like some bamboo that would do well in the soil (as opposed to potting) and remain relatively compact but yet not be high maintenance in keeping it centralized. Reason being is I'd like to create a kind of fence with it to block out view primarily but also act as a wind break. Also since I want to use it as a type of fence, it can't take over the neighbor's yard. Would clumping bamboo be good for this?

Also how strong is bamboo? Could you hang a hammock from it? I'm sure it depends on the species but in general?

I got some bamboo from a lovely old lady down the block a few years ago but I didn't think to ask what species it was. But the staves seemed to be very strong (and tall, things grew at least 20 feet I'd wager).

Which brings up another point, which sounds silly I'm sure but it's a concern: Since some bamboo does grow so tall, do you have to get any special permit (like a building permit) or anything to grow it? Or as long as the neighbors are cool with it it's fine?

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Clumping bamboo is, well, clumping bamboo. Its characteristic is to grow in a clump...always. For this reason, if you want to create a screen you need a fair number of them planted fairly closely together since it's not going to fill in gaps very quickly because it's...clumping. As for strength, there is probably nothing you can grow -- clumping or running -- in your zone that will be big enough to support a hammock without getting pulled over. Lastly, I've never heard of a permit required unless you are in an area with restrictive homeowner association laws. I suppose you could always get somebody complaining about view restriction, as with tall trees, but I think it highly unlikely that your municipality has any regulations on bamboo. Good luck.

• sunbeam56
    16 years ago

Most of the timber bamboos will "freeze" below 40 degrees or so. But a 20 foot bamboo is not a timber bamboo.
    There are some bamboos that will thrive in your zone. If you have a start that is doing well, and staying put like you want it to - you are well ahead of the game.

New England Bamboo has a pretty good website.

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

sunbeam-
    I'm not clear on your message. There are many running and clumping bamboos that are very hardy down to 0 degrees F, and some lower. I'm in Zone 8, like blewb, and I have over 60 different bamboo species in cultivation, including a number of timber bamboo as well as clumpers. Last winter we got down to about 15 degrees F several times and I didn't lose a single bamboo. In fact most of them didn't even suffer any foliage damage.

• blewb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kudzu:
    Since you're in the same zone as I do you have any advice on a good clumper that won't try to spread out too much? I'd like fairly thick staves as well but, if possible, somewhat short (10-15 feet). Anything like that?