Posted by sunshine_qld Qld Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 6:52

Lower section.
Ants have made a home in top hole.

This post was edited by sunshine_qld on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 7:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Bamboo

Wow, Any idea what made the notch like openings? How high from the ground is this? Looks like at least eye level or higher. Are there ant mounds in the grove? I may have no business concerning myself with this because I am on a different continent. But, this beats my squirrel damage problem!

PS. Just got some answers from your more recent thread.

This post was edited by pontyrogof on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:13

o

I will try to post back. I had some mites on my bamboo last year. I had a few of my thin walled chungii have the same problem. I will try to find the exact mite that causes that. What happens is before the boo branches out, the mite lives under the branch sheeth and eats away at the bamboo. When the branches come out, it leaves a dead spot, and on mine, a few months later, rotted through, just like what you have. Ill post back with the exact mite name.

o

Should I cut the this piece out? The ants moved in after this happened.
The 4 sections from the ground up are okay and then holes.
I have 4 new shoots this year so am hoping it will be okay.

o
Mites.

The ants are not the problem, they moved in afterwards. The problem was bamboo mite. They feed on the bamboos juices while the leaf sheath is on and weaken the clum wall. If the infestation is bad enough, you will end up with what you have. if you do not mind chemical treatments, look at Imidacloprid for treatment.
When you have new shoots coming up, peal back a sheath and see if you have a cotton like substance with pink bugs.

o

Thanks for that info.
I will check them tomorrow. Might just spray them anyhow when I spray other plants.
I us Crown but it sounds the same as you use.

o

Crown will work wonders. Spray the ground where the clums will be coming up because it seems these bugs wait in the ground and catch the ride up.

o

Okay
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here