Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlex0473

Hasty pruning..

jlex0473
13 years ago

I believe I've made a very hasty pruning decision and am hoping my bamboo recovers. I planted 10 five gallon clumps of Nigra Henon bamboo last year. We had a very harsh winter that we are now emerging from and I have a bunch of yellowing/ browning out of the leaves. I went through each culm and did some clean-up pruning. I did find sone culms that had died, which I cut back to the ground. My mistake it seems, is that I took the majority of the culms that had yellowed out leaves and cut them down to a level with no dead leaves and removed all of the branches- leaving a culm that may have once been 8-10 ft at only 4-6 feet. Ugh, wish I woul have read up a little more...

At this point, I have done a little light cultivating to the top of the soil, added 2-3 inches of compost and am ready to add some high nitrogen fertilizer. I NOW know that the culm cut down are stunted, but will my bamboo recover, with new chutes growing to the height intended for this bamboo type? Or is the entire plants potential compromised?

Comments (2)

• watchnerd
    13 years ago

Culms contain part of the energy store of the clump. If the culms were dead, you did't lose anything beneficial. If they were top-killed, but live, you lost some energy potential in the short term.

That being said, eventually the clump will make new shoots that equal or surpass the previous culm height. But, depending on energy reserves, it might not happen this season.

• jlex0473
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the response! I can certainly deal with waiting a season. Hopefully, your scenario will play out....kinda needed an optimistic turn after losing my " pruning mind"