Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topsiebeezelbub

is there a secret to transplanting?

topsiebeezelbub
16 years ago

Hi yall...last year a culm of black bamboo popped up in the lawn. I transplanted it into a pot, and watched it slowly croak. This year there ar eight culms that need removing,from a few inches to 3 feet tall...I hate to kill them, but they are going to be eaten by the mower if I don't remove them. Any reason why it is traveling into the lawn instead of along the bed?

Comments (9)

• tey157
    16 years ago

topsiebeezeelbub,

If the shoots are new there unlikely to survive in my experience. They need to be hardened off before transplanting. Do you have a barrier installed? If not, they will likely continue to spread into your lawn area. Phyllostachys nigra (Black Bamboo) is an aggressive runner.

You may be able to control it somewhat by mowing the lawn area. You could also install a poly root barrier which is a lot of work.

Good luck!

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

As Tey157 said, it would be best for the culms to get some age on them before transplanting.

I think the best way to take a tranplant, whether it is of a new or older culm, is to get a lot of the rhizome, as much as possible, and don't disturb the soil around it. Try to keep it all intact for the best luck at transplanting...but don't tell anyone,...it's a secret.

Kt

• barnaclebill
    16 years ago

I would just like to ask this question a little more specifically.
    I have the opportunity to obtain Giant running Bamboo Culms that are still in the ground for $5 each. I do not know the variety and neither does the owner. The Culms are about 6' tall and 4-5" in diameter.I want to start a bamboo forest on my 10 acres.
    1..Does starting from such a large culm provide any advantages for an early start over a seedling or still have to wait for it to send out runners to start from?
    2..What happens to the 6' culm if it does not grow when transplanted?
    3..How far from the culm should the runner be cut?
    4..Can a mature running Bamboo tree be transplanted?
    5..And when would it be considered mature?
    6..What is the best stage for transplanting?

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

If they are 6 feet tall and 4-5 inches in diameter, then the bamboo is shooting and it will NOT survive transpanting.

You need to get a mature culm, and it can be cut short for ease of transporting. Smaller ones, from my experience, are easier to transplant and have a higher survival rate.

Dig as big of a rootball as you can.

Good Luck

Kt

• barnaclebill
    16 years ago

Thanks
    What are the signs of a Bamboo being mature?

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

A mature culm would ideally be at least a year old. If a culm has just shot up this spring, it's still getting established. Usually new culms are on the outer edges of the clump, and may have other signs of newness, like: lots of culm sheaths still in place, brighter culm color, or not being leafed out as much as the other culms.

• jim1947
    9 years ago

We have 4 yr old black bamboo that started running outside the barrier. Can these be cut and transplanted
    Thanks

• jim1947
    9 years ago

On this black bamboo can the runners be cut and replanted

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Forget your experience with other plants when dealing with bamboo. When you try to transplant runners that are shooting they won't survive as they haven't been in the ground long enough to get established...it's like cutting an umbilical cord prematurely. If you want a viable transplant, you dig out a large rootball -- preferably bigger than basketball size -- with one or more culms from at least last year.

As for trying to start a bamboo forest by buying rhizomes, that's an iffy proposition. You may or may not be able to start some plants this way, but you will only get small shoots and it may take 5 years before it is head-high. If you want a bamboo grove, dig out and transplant mature divisions or buy potted plants.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm