Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fargesia seed

Posted by treeguy_ny z6a WNY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 8:41

Hi All,
There are two clumps of Fargesia flowering near me, I think nitida and possibly murielae. The stamens just started hanging out of the flowers. This is my first experience with bamboo seed. My questions:
1) when do I know the seed is ripe/ready to harvest?
2) are there any special germination tips such as scarification, sowing immediately, cold treatment, etc.?
3) can the seed be stored after collection, how best to store it, and for how long will it remain viable in storage?

Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fargesia seed

• Posted by foxd z5b/6a (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 11:18

1) When the seed falls off when the branches are shaken.
2) Bamboo seed usually loses viability rather quickly, so the seeds should be planted quickly.
3) Storing the seed in your refrigerator can prolong the amount of time it remains viable. But I would recommend distributing and planting quickly.

o
RE: Fargesia seed

Instead of shaking the branches, you can also gently touch the seeds and if they fall off they're ripe. It's a little more controlled than shaking. You're not trying to pull the seeds off, just knock them off if they're ready.

I had a few nitida seeds that I kept in the fridge over the Winter, and got about 30% germination. I'm not certain how many of the seeds were viable to being with, as some of them were pretty small/thin. The nice fat seeds are the good ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here