Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using vinegar to kill bamboo

Posted by grandtrain MD (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 8:49

I brought a house a year ago with a 4' by 10' foot patch of land with Bamboo. As you can guess, that first year was filled with discovery of the invasive nature of the plant. I don't think the previous owner did anything other than pulling out new shoots. I pulled out all the roots I can that exceeded its patch, but a good number is already intertwined with the surrounding bushes.

However, the bamboo creates a spectacular view. I'm thinking about saving a few rhizomes, killing the patch, installing a barrier, and then replanting it. I understand that it'll be years in the future.

So far, my battle plan is as follows:

1. Cut off all shoots and dig out as much rhizomes as I can.

2. Soak the patch area in vinegar. Though, I can't find a place to purchase any of the brand that was recommended yet.

3. Repeat until a year go by without new growth.

Here's my questions:

1. Would the bamboo absorb the vinegar, killing the rhizomes that had grown beyond the patch? I want to avoid applying vinegar outside the area as it is filled with bushes and other plants.

2. There's approximately a 2 feet of soil between the bamboo patch and the bushes. Would the vinegar pose a danger to the bush if apply liberally to the bamboo patch?

3. How long would it takes to make the area plant-able again after applying the vinegar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using vinegar to kill bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 14:26

Forget the vinegar. I don't know where you heard of this approach; it won't get rid of the bamboo, but it will likely screw up your soil and your other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Controlling bamboo

o

This seems like a no-brainer, but couldn't you just dig out the grove?

If it is a phyllostachys species, the rhizomes will be right by the surface, and shouldn't be that hard to dig out. If you pour vinegar on there, that's not going to do anything, but waste $$, acidify the soil, and the ph could end up too low to grow anything else for a while.

o

Will that be a rice vinegar you'll be using? Might I suggest also a splash of soy sauce for those stir fried shoots. mmmmm. Stir fry.

o

The crazy things people think of. If the view is "spectacular" why in God's name would you destroy it and not just maintain the bamboo by either trenching around it or cutting the rhizomes with a shovel annually. Installing a barrier is expensive and labor intensive and will still require maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here