Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandtrain

Using vinegar to kill bamboo

grandtrain
12 years ago

I brought a house a year ago with a 4' by 10' foot patch of land with Bamboo. As you can guess, that first year was filled with discovery of the invasive nature of the plant. I don't think the previous owner did anything other than pulling out new shoots. I pulled out all the roots I can that exceeded its patch, but a good number is already intertwined with the surrounding bushes.

However, the bamboo creates a spectacular view. I'm thinking about saving a few rhizomes, killing the patch, installing a barrier, and then replanting it. I understand that it'll be years in the future.

So far, my battle plan is as follows:

1. Cut off all shoots and dig out as much rhizomes as I can.

2. Soak the patch area in vinegar. Though, I can't find a place to purchase any of the brand that was recommended yet.

3. Repeat until a year go by without new growth.

Here's my questions:

1. Would the bamboo absorb the vinegar, killing the rhizomes that had grown beyond the patch? I want to avoid applying vinegar outside the area as it is filled with bushes and other plants.

2. There's approximately a 2 feet of soil between the bamboo patch and the bushes. Would the vinegar pose a danger to the bush if apply liberally to the bamboo patch?

3. How long would it takes to make the area plant-able again after applying the vinegar?

Comments (17)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Forget the vinegar. I don't know where you heard of this approach; it won't get rid of the bamboo, but it will likely screw up your soil and your other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Controlling bamboo

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

This seems like a no-brainer, but couldn't you just dig out the grove?

If it is a phyllostachys species, the rhizomes will be right by the surface, and shouldn't be that hard to dig out. If you pour vinegar on there, that's not going to do anything, but waste $$, acidify the soil, and the ph could end up too low to grow anything else for a while.

• new2zone9a
    12 years ago

Will that be a rice vinegar you'll be using? Might I suggest also a splash of soy sauce for those stir fried shoots. mmmmm. Stir fry.

• bamboozler
    12 years ago

The crazy things people think of. If the view is "spectacular" why in God's name would you destroy it and not just maintain the bamboo by either trenching around it or cutting the rhizomes with a shovel annually. Installing a barrier is expensive and labor intensive and will still require maintenance.

• Mike
    7 years ago

It is narrow minded comments like Gordon Woodrow's that perpetuate a society of ignorance. Bamboo has requirements, like many things in life. The problem is that irresponsible/uneducated people simply stick it in the ground and forget about it for 5 years or so until it becomes a problem. If installed responsibly (HDPE barrier, pruning trench etc), it is an asset to the local environment; not only for our peaceful enjoyment, but also as a wonderful shelter for birds, insects and the like.. Are you aware of clumping varieties of bamboo that require no barriers or root pruning whatsoever? Probably not..? It's just easier to spread hearsay than it is to read a little I guess.. Forgive me if I'm being rude, it's just a great disservice to the plant and to the many that have a passion for it.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

michael-

I had the same reaction as you, but have given up on responding to people who are on the anti-bamboo wagon....

• Mike
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You post much more than I on here and I'm sure it gets exhausting haha.. It's just such a shame for a beautiful genus to be stigmatized due to irresponsible or uneducated people.. Similar to the Pitbull breed's infamy I guess..

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

All we need now is a variety of bamboo called 'Phyllostachys Canem' and they'd have a field day....

• Kalákalá Tú
    7 years ago

Tell me about it! Bamboo-loving pit bull owner, here. You have no idea!

• cgilbertii
    7 years ago

I guess all you bamboo lovers love grass carp and zebra mussels too. Invasive bamboo can kill 100 year old trees.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

Really? Do you have any non-anecdotal links from reliable sources documenting that? I suppose anything is possible, so I'll keep an open mind. However, I have yet to see running bamboo damage any of my trees. I've also seen massive groves of bamboo all over Japan, and the trees looked fine.

• Kalákalá Tú
    7 years ago

cgilbertii, what a foolish, rude, and misinformed thing to say; especially on a year-old thread. If you dislike bamboo, why would you come into this section?

• Mike
    7 years ago

Cgilbertii, lay off the sauce bud - it's going to your head =)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago

Perhaps cgilbertii would like: How to Make Bamboo Wine (Ulanzi) — FOODRECAP - Ulanzi is a favorite among small trolls.

• alagreenegang
    7 years ago

My neighbors bamboo is taking over my yard and close to foundation. I'm worried. Cannot afford to trench in and he won't help. I'm trying vinegar, dawn and a Epsom salt mixture

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

Well, that's unfortunate, but, if you've read this thread, you should realize your approach won't work and you will only succeed in possibly messing up your soil. Sorry, but this is a common problem that has no easy, magical chemical solution.

Also, while I understand you don't want it in your yard, bamboo does not damage foundations, so, if that is your primary cocern, you're worrying about nothing.

If you want an effective and permanent solution, you'll get a pickaxe, dig the bamboo out, and install bamboo barrier.