Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirhidesingrass

Michigan bamboo new shoots!

sirhidesingrass
11 years ago

So two years ago I got some winter bamboo, being in Michigan with freezing winters it seemed like the best move. The first season the plant had minor damage to the surface shoots/leaves, and i didn't cover it up for winter either. After that the plant got bushier and had a couple whip shoots but no real substantial growth. The second season I moved, and uprooted the boo and took it with me. The entire summer it got bushier with no real new shoots, just more leaf growth. Winter hit and again I didnt cover it up, and no top kill only minor leaf damage. I think I am lucky.

This spring, I have counted 22 new shoots sprouting up everywhere. I am hoping for new divisions of the plant, but either way im super excited because the shoots are about a half inch to 3/4 inch thick now compared to the beginning shoots that were pretty skinny.

I will post picks probably this week if any one is interested, just wanted to share my story for any one thinking about growing bamboo in MI or other freezing climates.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler