o
Am I bamboo or grass ?

Posted by christine1950 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 9:39

Please tell me what I am, Thank You :>)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I bamboo or grass ?

Although the leaves look bamboo-like, that's a grass (bamboo is also a grass, but I know what you meant). Here are some reasons:
-The attachments of the leaves to the central shaft are typical of grass in the way the bases of the leaf wraps around.

-The leaves of bamboo alternate around the shaft in a different, alternating pattern.

-Bamboo that small would not be coming up in a bunch of different locations.

Also, as bamboo gets bigger, it would have woody canes, and you are not going to have that with whatever grass is in that pot.

Below is a link to a photo of a bamboo seedling that is several weeks old and shows the typical appearance of bamboo at this stage.

By the way, where did you get the grass?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. edulis seedling

o

kudzu, Thank you so much for explaining this to me, it was growing where I use to live and I never knew what it was, I only know that I liked the look, so in the fall I dug up a small piece and potted it up, I wanted to have it for my new apartment, I'm so happy it's growing so well. I plan I keeping it in the pot on my balcony Thank again Christine

o

You're welcome. It's a pretty grass. Enjoy it.

o

christine
looks like you might have some sea oats there. I dug some up awhile back because I swore it was bamboo but then it set seed and I recognized the seeds as sea oats. This is just a guess but it looks the same. P.s. sea oats spread like wildfire from their own seeds. Beware of where you plant them. I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here