Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henonistharry

New Vivax concern

henonistharry
16 years ago

Hi there,

Just went on a bamboo hunting trip at our local nursery. The guy selling isn't very knowledgeable, he just sells them. He gets most of his boos from Stam's nursery in Ireland ( http://www.stambamboo.com/frames_home.htm ). This are a very reputable firm. Recently he found a source locally from whom he's got, amongst other boos, a couple of Ph. Vivax - Aureocaulis'. Well, upon seeing the nine foot yellow culms towering over their 9 gallon containers I didn't hesitate to hand over the ã50 (c.$100) needed to take one of them home (pretty good deal wouldn't you say?).

Now I've looked at it a little closely I'm not sure how healthy it is and how good a deal I got.

There are six culms. Two or three of the small ones look dead. The larger two look OK - the current leaves are mostly green though some don't look too good. These larger culms do have new leaves emerging, though some look a little brown on the tips (some look fine). Is all this trivial and not to be worried about? The cold weather finished about 1 1/2 months ago.

I'd be grateful if you can tell me what you think. I should be able to take it back within five days if necessary.

I have some photos but I'm not sure how to put them in my post...Help!

Thanks,

HenonistHarry

Comments (10)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

If the culms are putting out leaves, and the culms are not discolored, it sounds like it just needs some pampering. It may have had some winter damage if there was got cold and in the pot. However, pictures would help to confirm that that is the case. You can go to the top of the messages listing in this forum and click on the "Gallery" button. Once there you can upload images - one per message - and repost in your original message thread that the picutures are in the Gallery. Or you can join a free online storage service, like Photobucket.com, and transfer the photos there and copy the HTML code and paste it into your message for direct viewing.

One other thing about your bamboo: like all vivax species it has thin walls and can be broken if you have snow loading in the winter. I go out and shake mine off once or twice a year in the winter when we get out rare snowfall.

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

This is the URL to my photo album with pictures of the Vivax:

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/henonistharry/

What do you mean by pampering by the way? I'm about to do a round of fertilizing on all my boos (soluble, high in nitrogen) and I'll certainly include the Vivax. Anything else - not too much sun just yet?...???

Also, there's a small hole about 5ft up on the main culm. It doesn't seem to be troubling it. Is this normal? (I would've taken a photo of it but the camera batteries failed.)

Appreciate any feedback,

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Vivax

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Henonist Harry again.

I've put more photos up here:

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/henonistharry/

Including a shot of the hole.

Shall I take it back and go for a healthy but smaller one from a reputable dealer or persevere and give it some TLC.

Am I worrying about nothing or have I purchased a pooper?

Cheers.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Vivax

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Harry-
    That bamboo looks fine to me. It has had a little neglect or winter damage, but the culms look healthy. I've had several that looked worse than that and came back strong. Keep it properly watered, give it a little fertilizer, and it should be fine; I think it can handle full sun if you keep the soil moist. You should get new, healthy leaves in the near future. As for the hole in the culm, that isn't a worry. Something physically damaged the culm as it was coming up and that's where the hole came from; it's not a sign of anything more than that. I think you're safe keeping the plant. Have fun!

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, thanks. I'll give it a day or so before I put it in the ground.

Bye for now.

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Harry the henonist again.

A question about Vivax Aureocaulis and shade. I'm considering putting it in an west facing spot where it will get c. 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours of sun in the afternoon/evening (during Spring/Summer). It will not be under any other trees. Is this enough sun for it to do well? If a Vivax doesn't get full sun will it not reach a good height but have lots of foliage, or will it be tall with little foliage etc. I've seen pics of some in full sun where the leaves don't begin until pretty high up.

Thanks.

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Harry-
    Ph. vivax prefers full sun. My own experience is that sun-loving bamboo tend to be smaller than their potential height when they are shaded. The location you described won't hurt it, but you might not get as vigorous growth as you could. I'd say you should try that location and, if it doesn't size up substantially within two years, put it in a sunnier spot if possible.

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the helpful advice.

H.H.

• ronaldo60
    16 years ago

HH: If you find your self in Dublin, go check out Scalp Wood nursery in Kilternan. They are bringing in truck loads of bamboo from Italy. I would guess they have the largest number/selection/specimen of plants in Ireland. From 3 to 300 ltr pots. They seem to be priced at about 1 euro per litre? Maybe your supplier can look into where they source them in Italy. The plants i bought from them have done quite well, except for a vivax that the wind wrecked.

R,

• henonistharry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

R. -

Thanks for the info. Just had a look at Scalp Wood Nurseries' web site. I don't think I'll be finding myself in Dublin any time soon, unfortunately.

Aside from that, the Vivax is really beginning to put out its new leaves, thankfully. I keep talking to it - that's supposed to work. They did an experiment where they had two plants growing. Next to the first they played some nasty heavy music and next to the second they played some gentle classical. The the first one evidently had tried to grow away from the speakers and I think ended up dying. But the second grew towards the music and flourished! Speaking lovingly and gently is supposed to have a similar effect.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994