Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over water / Under water / normal leaf transition?

Posted by tjchermack 5 (Colorado) (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 10:22

Greetings! My experiment is coming together. Quick background -- I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado (Zone 5 ish) and I have planted 16 1 gallon phyllostachys atrovaginata (incense bamboo). The soil here is very dry, compact clay, so I imported a raised bed of topsoil and mixed in some compost.

I planted these babies on April 12, so they have been in the ground almost 2 weeks.

My question is about water. I'm not sure if I am over or underwatering. I know the leaves will curl up if they are dehydrated, but you can see in some of the pictures that some leaves are browning / yellowing.

I know this could also be from the transition to the new environment, normal leaf renewal, and we have had a few days of pretty big wind gusts.

So, in short, I'm just curious if anyone can verify from the pictures that I'm watering enough. My watering routine has been to water in the morning AND at night. It is SO dry here that the soil dries between morning and night, but then again, I could be overdoing it.... It seems that the raised bed drains very well, but I know the clay underneath does not drain well at all.

So, any advice would be most appreciated.

Check out the pics here:
http://gallery.mac.com/tjchermack#100021

Thanks!!
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over water / Under water / normal leaf transition?

Tom
I have the same problem, my soil cooks during the day!
Stick your finger in the soil about an inch deep and see if it's moist. You want your soil that way, not a boiling pot of muddy water!
Keep it that way for a month or so until they establish.
Atro can take some drying out.
Bud

o
RE: Over water / Under water / normal leaf transition?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 12:15

So far, they look ok to me. It does not look like any generalized problem to me with either over- or under-watering. Those few leaves that are damaged could be from a number of other temporary things, like transplant shock, etc. Keep doing what you're doing; bamboo are pretty tolerant of moisture as long as they're not underwater. Also, get a couple inch layer of mulch in place to help retain moisture, and buy yourself a $6 moisture meter at Home Depot or equivalent to assess the situation accurately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here