Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjchermack

Over water / Under water / normal leaf transition?

tjchermack
16 years ago

Greetings! My experiment is coming together. Quick background -- I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado (Zone 5 ish) and I have planted 16 1 gallon phyllostachys atrovaginata (incense bamboo). The soil here is very dry, compact clay, so I imported a raised bed of topsoil and mixed in some compost.

I planted these babies on April 12, so they have been in the ground almost 2 weeks.

My question is about water. I'm not sure if I am over or underwatering. I know the leaves will curl up if they are dehydrated, but you can see in some of the pictures that some leaves are browning / yellowing.

I know this could also be from the transition to the new environment, normal leaf renewal, and we have had a few days of pretty big wind gusts.

So, in short, I'm just curious if anyone can verify from the pictures that I'm watering enough. My watering routine has been to water in the morning AND at night. It is SO dry here that the soil dries between morning and night, but then again, I could be overdoing it.... It seems that the raised bed drains very well, but I know the clay underneath does not drain well at all.

So, any advice would be most appreciated.

Check out the pics here:

http://gallery.mac.com/tjchermack#100021

Thanks!!

Tom

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!