Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I expect?

Posted by Joecd none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 12:19

I transplanted full grown bamboo plants. Approximately 20 one year ago and 20 more this past February. What type of growth should I expect and when will I start seeing new shoots this spring? I live in Pa. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I expect?

What kind of bamboo did you plant and how big of a rootball did you transplant?

What type of soil do you have?

Kt

o

Well the bamboo that I picked from the wild was at least 25 feet tall. It is a running bamboo, root balls were shallow but most were at least a 1 1/2 to 2 feet square. They are planted in clean fill dirt that I have mulched in with wood chips. Thank you very much.

o

Sounds like you got a pretty good sized rootball so in my area, that bamboo would put up several smaller shoots by years end, and possibly a larger shoot or two, close to the size of the exisitng culms, but most large growth will come during or after the second year, after the roots and rhizomes get well established.

This all depends on how fertile the soil is and how much water the bamboo gets. Also, the cold hardiness of the bamboo in consideration with the zone that you live in all play a part in how fast the plant will grow and reach maturity.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here