Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this top kill?

Posted by mary-in-toronto 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:25

After our brutal winter, my 7 year old Fargesia Robusta Green Screen has turned brown. Is this top kill? If so, what are my next steps?
Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by mary-in-toronto on Sun, May 11, 14 at 13:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this top kill?

close-up of bamboo

o

It is one month later, and there has been no change in my bamboo - no further green, no leaf drop, no new culms. I am in need of advice. Do I cut it all down? wait? thin it out?
Thanks

This post was edited by mary-in-toronto on Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:41

o

Has it come back yet? I live in Santa Fe and am considering planting bamboo where we want a 10ft tall screen. Does it require a good deal of extra water? Do you water it in the winter? We are in zone 5. Thanks!

o

Mary-
Are any of the existing culms green, or have they all tanned-out?

o

UPDATE: The bamboo was totally topkilled. I have removed most of the dead culms, but left a few for support of any new culms. The new shoots are sparse and thin, and located only on the perimeter of the plants. All very disappointing.

To desertwest: I do not water during the winter, and after 7 years, it only reached 5 feet in height. But,Toronto is a very different climate from Santa Fe.

o

Mary-
Mine did this in the yard this year, and I had a large perimeter planting such as you show in your images. Sadly, mine all had to be cut to the ground. Most have only perimeter growth, sadly. This was a HARSH winter up north (I am in Zone 5a, WI) and we've had a very wet spring/early summer... so, this is the growth I guess I am stuck with. If they don't re-grow adequately for next season, I will be forced to dig them all out. UGH! I feel your pain!

o

another section... sadly, this section of the yard was hardest hit. None of the bamboo has survived.

o

this is what I've been left with as of July 1

o

Usonian4001 " If they don't re-grow adequately for next season, I will be forced to dig them all out. "

Can you explain to me why they should be dug out if they do no adequately grow?
My bamboo shoots look just like yours.
-Mary

This post was edited by mary-in-toronto on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 14:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here