Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Bamboo in Container?

gardenbug
13 years ago

Zone 8b, Fraser Valley, British Columbia

I would like to plant a Fargesia Bamboo in a container, however, I have a couple of questions please?

1. What kind of a container is best? wood? ceramic? dark color, light color?

2. What size container should I plant it in? width x height?

3. Does Fargesia Bamboo take morning shade and afternoon sun?

4. How tall/wide does it get in a container?

Sorry about so many questions, I just want to make sure I start off on the right foot. Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help

Comments (7)

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

1. I would suggest a wood or heavy plastic container and preferably one the is wider at the top than at the bottom.

2. The larger the container, the larger the bamboo will grow...up to it's maximum size.

3. Some species of Fargesia do well here in morning shade and afternoon sun, but you are in a totally different area so I can't give you an answer.

4. The larger the container, the larger the bamboo can and will grow.

Good Luck.

Kt

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Perhaps I'll look for a half barrel, it's made of wood and wider at the top. Much appreciated.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

cadence-
    I do not recommend wooden half barrels for bamboo. At some point you will have to re-pot it, and you are unlikely to be able to get it out. Bamboo roots grow to the edges of the container and then circle. There will be enough pressure and friction that you won't be able to unpot it, and the root ball will be so dense that you won't be able to get a decent chunk out using a saw and/or a shovel.

The last time I tried to help a neighbor get a bamboo out of a half barrel, we needed to destroy the barrel by removing the iron rings and peeling off the slats to get at the bamboo. Use a standard, large nursery pot with a vase shape and slick sides. Trust me on this.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi kudzu, thank you for the tip. A vase shaped nursery pot. I'm not really sure what slick sides mean. Can you show me a pic by any chance? What size would be good? Thank you.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I just meant a standard nursery pot...not something that might have a rough texture inside, like some large ceramic pots.

As for size, it depends on the plant size now. Growth will be slower in the pot rather than the ground. The pot should be big enough for future growth without being so large that the plant looks dwarfed in it. What gallon size plant do you have or intend to get?

One other thing: when I grow bamboo in pots, what I usually do is plant it in a utility pot and then place that pot inside a slightly larger decorative ceramic pot that will accommodate it. That way it can be attractive and you can use any shape ceramic pot to hide the plastic utility pot, and you don't have to worry about the bamboo being stuck inside an expensive container when it's re-potting time.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great help kudzu. I haven't decided on the size of the plant. My neighbor has an ugly site on his back porch and I just want to create an instant screen. So, I will have to purchase a bamboo that is at least 5' tall. By the way, do they grow fast? Gardengal helped me to select an appropriate bamboo for my area. She suggested a clump bamboo called Fargesia. So, that is what I'm going to get.

I can't plant it in the ground because there is drain rocks where I want it and it's right at the base of my neighbors downpipe. That's why I have to put it in a container. Thank you for the tips on selecting a good container. I really like the idea of a utility pot inside a nice ceramic pot.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Fargesias are nice because they have a lot of small leaves and provide a good screen. In a pot they are average growers. I suggest you get the biggest one you can afford (at least a 5-gallon pot), and re-pot it in something bigger, like a 10-15 gallon utility pot. I'm in the same Zone as you (Seattle area), so I know that a Fargesia should do well for you and be evergreen.