Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billbayley

Bamboo Hedge Questions

billbayley
14 years ago

I am in S.E. LA and wish to plant bamboo as a privacy hedge. The details are as follows:

1) I will be planting against a 6' wood fence in my backyard (approx. 35' from house on the east side)

2) The area will be mostly shade with a large magnolia tree 4' from the fence with exposed roots inches from the fence. Here is an image of the fence with tree:

http://members.cox.net/mlakeman/400D3_-6884_Upload.jpg

(or click on the 'Backyard' link below)

3) The 'hedge' will run about 40'-50' (about the length of the image, a bit past the red paver stones & drainage rock seen in the left side of the image, near a raised workshop and end on the right near a small shed, which has visqueen and drainage rock between it and the fence).

4) Our lot is about 8" higher than the lot behind the fence, in case that presents any problems.

This is what I think our needs are:

1) We want a bamboo that will will not run into the neighbor's yard, nor invade ours(clumping...?), just stay within its little hedge line.

2) Limited to around 12-15' high

3) Thick, for privacy, but does not bush out into neighbor's yard (or ours)

4) Attractive.

5) Not expensive, if possible, but I am willing to spend whatever it takes to achieve the above.

Some questions that occur:

1) Is it likely that I'll find whatever suggestions occur in a local nursery? If not, what is the best online spot?

2) How close should I plant to the fence? Should I plant only one row? 2?

3) Is some barrier between the fence and bamboo necessary? Should I place drainage rock behind? Is it advisable to place drainage rock under the bamboo, allowing the bamboo to grow through it?

4) Will the bamboo under the tree be a problem?

I've tied to include as much info as possible. I hope it's not too much. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:407292}}

Comments (2)