Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itamea

Phyllostachys Vivax near KC, MO

itamea
12 years ago

Does anyone know if there is someone selling Phyllostachys Vivax within a few hours drive of Kansas City?

thanks!

Comments (7)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Have you tried a Google search? I'm sure there is some nursery around you that carries varieties of bamboo that would be hardy in your zone. However, I am going to discourage you from Vivax. It's a nice-looking bamboo that sizes up fairly quickly, but it has very thin walls and tends to snap in half in areas that get snow. I would suggest you think about other hardy bamboo varieties that may be better for your area.

I did find one ABS (American Bamboo Society) member nursery in your state that carries about 30 varieties, but it's pretty far away from you:

FAST GRASS BAMBOO NURSERY
    3098 Idel Road
    Rosebud, MO 63091
    573-205-9737

Even if that is too far to drive, it would be worth a call to see what the owner recommends for your area and whether there are any sources closer to you.

Once you settle on a species, there are many reputable bamboo nurseries online and you could buy that way. Having it shipped might be cheaper than driving a long distance.

• itamea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the quick reply. what large diameter bamboo would you suggest?

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I think that you might consider Ph. nigra 'Henon' which gets good size and is very strong, or Ph. nigra [Black bamboo]. The Black bamboo will not get as large as the Henon, and is not quite as cold hardy. What are the lowest temps you get in winter?

Below is a link to a site with photos of various bamboo species and info on their maximum size and cold hardiness.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

• itamea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the low average for winter is around 30 with the occasional dip down to -5 at the coldest.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, it's not the averages that matter. A bamboo hardiness rating is the lowest temperature that a particular species can survive for 24 hours. In the case of Ph. nigra, that's 5F; Henon is 0F. Substantial damage to the aboveground growth -- leaf loss and culm dieback -- will occur well above those numbers. You may wish to consider something like Ph. nuda, which has a hardiness rating of -15F, or one of the Fargesias, like F. nitida or F. murieliae.

• itamea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what about incense bamboo?

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Ph. atrovaginata (Incense bamboo) is supposedly hardy to -10F, so that would be a better choice. Just bear in mind that you will still likely see winter damage to the plant regardless of how hardy it is.

Sponsored