Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdank_gw

Can I grow bamboo in the woods?

bdank
14 years ago

Hello,

I am in need of a privacy screen to block the view of my neighbors. I live on two acres of wooded land in Northern Virginia (zone 7). There is about a 30 ft depth of woods between my house and this neighbor, but it does not provide a dense enough screen to give us the privacy that we would like. In the fall/winter I have full view of their house/deck/yard. I was thinking of planting some sort of evergreen trees, but (from what I've read) most grow slow and don't do well in shade. I have recently discovered bamboo as a privacy screen option. But I have no idea which bamboo I should grow (if any). I'm hoping you can help me decide. This is what I'm looking for:

1) fast growing

2) a very tall thick screen (I would like privacy on my second story deck if possible)

3) can be grown in wooded/shaded areas

4) can be grown in clay soil

5) tolerates cold winters (zone 7)

Can you recommend the type of bamboo that might work for me? Also, I have a very large yard and don't care how much of it the bamboo takes over. But, the area where I will plant this is wooded and there is no mowing, so how far would I have to plant it from the neighbor's yard to keep it from invading on them? Can bamboo grow up through underbrush or will I need to clear that out before planting? And finally, how many plants would I need (planted how far apart) to provide a decent 100 ft long privacy screen.

Thanks for your time!

Comments (19)

• botanicalbill
    14 years ago

Dont forget about eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana). Its cheap (Two bucks a plant) and native. Grows in very thick.

The link is a nursery that I have delt with before and ships nice plants. (I live in Florida and have nothing to do with cold stream farms.)

I dont want to knock bamboo but I love the look and smell of cedar, it will grow execelent in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Red Cedar

• bdank
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The problem with that tree is it takes 40 years to reach maturity. By the time it became a decent privacy screen I may not be around to enjoy it ;0)

• alan_l
    14 years ago

When you say "shade", does it get any sun at all, or is it full shade all day long?

• bdank
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the late spring/summer there is only dabbled sunlight through the trees. In the early spring, winter and fall there is almost full sunlight because the leaves are off the trees.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

bdank-
    This is definitely a possibility for you. I see you are in Zone 7, but can you describe your winters a little more as regards lowest temperatures, duration of below freezing weather, and the amount of snow?

• bdank
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Winters here are generally mild with very little snow. But this year was crazy, we had two snow blizzards with over 3 feet of snow. But this is not the usual weather here. We normally only get a few inches of snow a year, if that.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

bdank-
    That's helpful, but I would also like to know about the winter temperatures because various bamboo have various hardiness ratings.

• eddie6775
    14 years ago

I'd be interested in finding out about this matter of discusion my self! I live in a much colder climate, but have the same situation; a patch of woods between my house and a public area. It was recently timbered, leaving no privacy! In my case I'm just concerned with not choking out the saplings and other indigenous plants that are trying to poke up through.
    Best of luck with your garden, let me know what you end up with!

• User
    14 years ago

Your problem is the shade you describe. The bamboos that I am familiar with are sun lovers--they won't grow into shade. Soil should be less of an issue but they tend to prefer good drainage--while loving tons of rainfall year round.

• bdank
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kudzu9,
    It's gets as low as the 20's here in the winter. The lowest recorded temperature is -12 back in the 1940's

I've been thinking about Fargesia Robusta. Don't the clumping types like shade? And I was thinking if I go with a clumping type I won't have to worry about it spreading into the neighbor's yard. They sure are expensive though!

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, you are correct about Fargesia appreciating shade in warm/hot summer areas. You're also right about them growing at a much more modest pace--and being costly! I am trying to establish a bank of Fargesia and Borinda in an area that get direct sun all morning to early afternoon. They are doing fine but relatively slow. They may pick up though --as do the runners. We'll see. Phyllostachys species (the temperate runners) are sun lovers though.

• stonecrabber
    14 years ago

can you plant a 'strip' of bamboo on your side of the woods.
    that way if the one edge wanders into the woods a little you'll be OK and on the other side your lawn/house side you'll just control the spread with your lawnmower. If you can get around 6 hrs. of good sun. You should be able to grow a running type.As long as the bamboo isn't on the north side of the woods you'll probably be OK.
    You could also just go for some native hollies and sweet bay
    they should be evergreen and grow fine in the area you describe. Hardiness shouldn't be an issue on either of those. I think you could probably find sweet bay magnolia
    for relatively cheap. I've seen 10-15 gallon plants that
    were easily 6-8' for around $30.00, hollies will definitely
    be able to grow there as well,go for some of the taller
    types.Again these should be able to be gotten for relatively
    cheap at anywhere specializing in native plants. Both the
    magnolia and hollies can/should be planted right in the 'woods' or along the edge.

• bamboozler
    14 years ago

I grow Japonica here in the shade with great success. In our climate it acts as a running clumber, not spreading as vigorously as the Phyllostachys I have but filling in and screening the property line with a profusion of close packed culms. It's also drought, shade and cold tolerant and does well in pots and can be divided and multiplied easily. An excellent bamboo for many uses.

• thegreenery
    14 years ago

Arrow Bamboo, will grow just fine in your application, I have it buffering a cabin in a very shady environment and it is flourishing!!! dipped into the low teens at the Cabin this year and it was not affected at all..this bamboo is a runner but with Clumping tendencies....good luck

• cswoodhouse0627
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have a similar problem with needing a privacy screen and decided to plant various native species. Unfortunately, the roots of surrounding trees and bushes were so thick and plentiful, we had to abandon the plan. The nursery said the plants probably would not survive. We will be building a privacy fence in the wooded area, hiding it somewhat from our view and that of our neighbors.

• mshaffer
    6 years ago

I would plant Vivax Aureocaulis. I didn't plant mine as a screen but it has turned out to be a nice one. It has very tall branches, grows fast, and has never been top killed by the winters here (Northern VA).

By the way here are some low temperatures from Dulles Airport. You don't have to go that far back to find some really cold temperatures.

Jan 20 1984 -18F

Jan 28 1987 -17F

Jan 21 1984 -16F

Feb 18 1979 -14F

Feb 5 1996 -10F

• mshaffer
    6 years ago

Here is a picture of my Vivax Aureocaulis

• cswoodhouse0627
    6 years ago

Very pretty. How long ago did you plant them?

• james vellozzi
    last year

Go with a running Bambo… you’ll be fine. i have the same issue and Bambo will grow fast, so long as you have some dappled sunlight, filtered light, ambient light… but if it’s dense black shade, the kind created by those deadly Norway maples, then you’re going to have a really tough time with Bambo.

i just my Bambo fern a company called Lewis Bamboo. Google them, they are EXTREMELY helpful and will guide you towards the best kind.

They only sell running Bamboo.

Best of luck..

James from New York