Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Cultivation in U.S. ILLEGAL by 2008

Posted by hoke 9a SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 14:46

April 1, 2007 AB Wire Service

In January 2007, The US Department of Agriculture, together with the Department of Homeland Security, introduced a bill to Congress that would make the cultivation of certain types of bamboo illegal in the US. That bill was passed by the House in February and passed in the Senate with a clear majority today. The law takes effect January 1, 2008.

Specifically, all species of leptomorph bamboos (commonly called "running" or "spreading" bamboo by laypersons) must be removed from nurseries and all private property by the end of the year. These species of bamboo may not even be grown in containers.

Many bamboo enthusiasts are upset by the passage of this new law, claiming that its unfair to single out a whole class of plant life for persecution. A prominent member of the American Bamboo Society, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said today that "this will create a whole new class of criminals overnight! This law was enacted precisely because running bamboos are impossible to get rid of, once established in the ground. So it stands to reason that come January 1st, every American who has ever planted running bamboo in his backyard will be a criminal, with no way to comply with the law. Its ridiculous!

"Nobody smokes this stuff; you cant get high on it. I just dont get it.", the member added.

Asked why leptomorph bamboos are such a concern, a top official of the USDA, who also declined to be identified, said, "The so-called gardeners who plant this vile stuff in their yards claim that it makes a great privacy screen, while in actuality its an invasive weed that spreads to adjacent properties and wreaks havoc on entire communities. This law was enacted to send a clear message: If you want privacy, build a fence like a normal person!"

Department of Homelad Security chief Michael Chertoff, added, "Privacy in America is a quaint, outdated concept. Thats why we support this legislation. The abolition of bamboo screening in the yards of America will make it much easier for people to see what their neighbors are up to. The passage of this law is one small victory in the larger war against terror."

Many bamboo growers across the country have vowed to flout the law by continuing to grow running bamboo on their properties. Some say they are willing to go to jail to defend their landscaping. USDA and DHS enforcement teams will begin scouring neighborhoods for illegal groves sometime during the first week of 2008. Property owners found in violation will be arrested immediately and will face fines of up to $10,000 and a possible five years in federal prison.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Cultivation in U.S. ILLEGAL by 2008

so, it is april 1 is it not ;)

o

• Posted by hoke 9a SoCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 16:28

Come to think of it, yes it is! What a coincidence! ;-)

o

lol, hahaha, you allmost had me if it wasnt for the fact that i never heard of the AB Wire Service .....! must be a goverment thing!!.. then again, it could be true, my black boo tryed to escape out the bottom of the planter i had, good thing i was moving it to a new spot!

o

• Posted by bugsb 9CA Bakersfield (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 16:59

Outstanding hoke :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond the way it was before the freeze.

o

Jerk!! I was just sitting down to a nice meal and reading your initial article ruined that!!

Lucky I have some humor!!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 4:16

I, too thought it was legit. Perfectly plausible considering other regressive moves current administration has made. The supposed Chertoff quote sounded like more of same post 9/11 stuff we've already seen.

Would they start with the old USDA plantings near Savannah?

o

Even if it were true, I'd like to see them try to remove some of the aurea, and a few other varieties, that have grown wild here for years.

They'd never get my potted runners. I will keep them no matter what.

If it were knotweed or kudzu that they were talking about, then it might be believeable, but even that would be impossible to completely irradicate...

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here