Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zruntalo

Golden Bamboo Rhizomes

zruntalo
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
Forgive me, for I am new to bamboo and am hoping that someone will be able to help me out with a few questions.

First off, I live in a high rise and have been looking for something to add privacy along one side of my balcony.
A friend surprised me yesterday with three Golden Bamboo Rhizomes that he ordered online. Obviously, being on a balcony, I planted these in a fairly large planter. The instructions said that if I was planting them in a pot, to set the rhizomes up vertically, leaving 2" exposed.

I've been doing a lot of research, and have not seen anything about plating rhizomes vertically. I am also concerned about the exposed roots, do I need to cut them off?

In the end, my main question is: How long should I expect to wait for these to grow. I've read it grows at an extremely fast rate, but I don't know if that includes growing from rhizomes or any other factors.

I sure hope I didn't mess anything up, because these will look beautiful when they are established. The nosy neighbors in the surrounding balconies will be jealous.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

First of all, when you are trying to grow bamboo from rhizome, the entire root should be buried and you should have it lying down horizontally 3"-4" below the surface, with nothing sticking out of the soil. The way you have it will cause the rhizomes to dry out and die. Second, growing bamboo from rhizome is iffy. I've done it many times and my success rate has varied between 0-50%. If you are successful, you will get some small shoots this year...or maybe next. While it is true that mature, established bamboo can grow quickly, bamboo grown from rhizomes will take 3-5 years before it is head height. I don't mean to be discouraging, just realistic. Most people who want to have the kind of growth you are interested in buy an actual plant, which is the result of dividing off a piece from an established clump or grove.

• zruntalo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha. Well now I'm embarrassed. I pretty sure he didn't know what he was buying.
    Anyway, I'm going to search around for some established plants.
    He's out of the country now, so I can tell him the full grown ones are his when he comes back, then break it to him later.
    As for what I have, I'll probably give them to my sister to pot somewhere. She has more patience than I.

Thank you for your reply!

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

• cindy24
    10 years ago

Just curious how are your rhizomes doing?
    I have some too but I'm very doubtful it will become of anything.
    I should of just spent the $30 for a bamboo plant :)

Good luck!

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

Phyllostachys aurea or golden bamboo may actually work that way, even though it's a horrible time of the year to take rhizome divisions since it is known to be a species that is good at generating small survival shoots.

It is also known to be one of the most aggressive species especially if you are in a warmer climate so before getting it into the ground, make sure you have an effective plan of action to keep it contained so shoots don't come up all over your neighbor's yard if you are screening them out.

• cindy24
    10 years ago

I have 3 black bamboo rhizomes... I planted one, about 2 months ago and still nothing. It's outdoor, under a shaded area, but still gets afternoon sun. And in Texas it gets so hot. So I'm not sure if I've over watered or underwater. Now I have have 2 more that I need to try. I hope they grow! I hear rhizomes are the worst to try and get plants! We'll see in a few months. My soil is potting soil, vermiculite and perlite. I hope thats okay??? Any advice on soil would be great!

Thanks

• cindy24
    10 years ago

Here's my rhizomes...
    I wonder if it's good or not. I will still plant them and see what happens.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

cindy24-
    At least it doesn't look dried out. Give it a few months and see what happens....

• cindy24
    10 years ago

Thanks.. I just put it in the pot this morning. We'll see :)

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

It is pretty unlikely for something like that to put out any shoots, especially since they are taken after shooting season on this particular species.

For example, It would even be possible for me to send you some p nigra rhizomes however I wouldn't do it unless I'm able to get a culms along with the division that is stablized for at least a couple weeks. Some species such as bissetii, and aureosulcata do very well from rhizomes almost any time of the year.

P nigra rhizomes are pretty tough to take.

• cindy24
    10 years ago

That's disappointing.... I think my best bet is to just get a live plant. Thanks for the input!!