Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_in_idaho

best bamboo for zone 5?

bamboo_in_idaho
17 years ago

Hi. I'm in southwest Idaho (Boise) which is high desert. We just removed every inch of grass and rototilled in compost and are now figuring out where to go from here. I really want to plant bamboo for privacy between us and our neighbors, but I'm not sure which variety is the best. It sounds like the clumping varieties aren't hardy enough. I'd also like it to be as drought tolerant as possible. We are planning to go as xeric as possible, so for watering reasons, the more xeric the bamboo, the better. But I also keep wondering if I'd be better off planting tall ornamental grass, due to being in zone 5. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie

Comments (5)

• bill_ut
    17 years ago

Check out Horseshoe Nursery, also near Boise. They know Idaho cold hardy bamboo! (208) 793-4121 Marty can give you an overview of what is required.

I live in Utah, Zone 5, and planted bamboo for a privacy screen last fall. You are lucky to be close enough to visit Horseshoe and see the different varieties first hand! It may cause you to cut back on the baths and showers to allow for a little greenery...

Here is a link that might be useful: Horseshoe Nursery

• tropicolorado_z5a
    17 years ago

Hi, Idaho. I'm in zone 5a only few miles from 4b. Put a couple of Fargesia murieliae in last spring. Overwinter low was -17F in Dec & Jan w/ plenty more days w/ subzero lows. F. m. has come thru w/ flying colors. Mulched well w/ shredded cedar mulch & pine needles. No protection otherwise. Already greening up w/ new growth w/in a couple inches of last years top. I planted for the same reason you want. It's a clumper so it won't go all over and height/spread is good for screening. Hope this helps.
    Dave - Colorado Springs

• celestial
    17 years ago

Hi Stephanie,

I'm in Eagle and am considering working with Horseshoe Bend Nursery as well. I met the owner a few years back, but haven't known what I wanted to do with bamboo until now.

They sent me a reply to my first email to them within 1 day--I appreciate fast communication (makes a good first impression.)

• judhar
    17 years ago

Would the Fargesias bamboo be hardy enough for zone 4? Is that a clumping kind?

• tropicolorado_z5a
    16 years ago

judhar 4- maybe- I'm on the fringes of z4 here myself. I put some cedar mulch around the base of the clumps and some pine needles on that maybe total six inches deep above ground level. Other than that they went thru subzero weather for all winter. I was thinking I'd have to cut them back to the ground (green culms down around the mulch area all winter) but, to my surprise, even the tips of highest culms from last season are unfurling green leaves all over.

Sponsored