Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with these sellers?

Posted by akebono 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 15:27

I'm looking to purchase some bamboo from both Midatlantic Bamboo and Burt Associates, and would love to hear your experiences with them before I click "purchase." Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with these sellers?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 12:24

I haven't purchased from either, although I have heard of them. I think they're both reputable, but somewhat overpriced, particularly Burt Associates. For comparison purposes, take a look at this vendor (one I've bought from many times):
www.bambu-u.com

o

i haven't bought from either one, have you tryed ? http://www.lewisbamboo.com/ i bought a grey henon from them and ive had good luck from it..

o

I have bought two plants from MAB. They arrived quickly and in great condition. The only problem was the Moso doesn't survive the winters here, it had complete topkill. If you're buying Moso I suggest "Hortus" on ebay, his are more cold hardy. I also bought a Vivax Aureocaulis from MAB and it's doing fine so far. I would definitely buy from them again, but I would make SURE what I buy there will work in my zone.

o

I have dealt with both, both are reputable.
One caveat, be sure the plants you select are appropriate for your growing zone.
I personally push my hardyness zone and as a result lose a few specimens which I can't in good conscience hold the vendor responsable for. You can push the zones if you get a couple mild winters to establish a rhizome mass-but the 1st year is very risky.

o

Over a period of three years I have purchased six bamboo plants from Bert Associates, four by way of mail order. All but one arrived looking vagarious and healthy. The one that did not look good soon died. I emailed him and he replaced it free.

I would recommend him.

o

If you need an interpreter for that post above, read "vigorous" for vagarious.

o

I've purchased from Horseshoe Nursery for cold hardy varieties - great plants and reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horseshoe Nursery

o

I ordered a Phyllostachis nigra from MidAtlantic Bamboo about a year ago. The plant arrived promptly, in excellent condition, and has proved very vigorous. There would be no hesitation purchasing from them again and I probably will in the near future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here