Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Screening Bamboo for Zone 10

Posted by Venice_chef 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 16:28

I need a tall bamboo screen for my backyard in Venice, CA. It's zone 10. I am considering either Oldham Bamboo or "Seabreeze Bamboo" (Bambusa malingensis). I want something clumping so it won't spread too much. Does anyone have opinions about these two species or alternatives they prefer? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Screening Bamboo for Zone 10

I have Bambusa oldhamii, and I can tell you that it's not a real fan of lots of wind. It gets a fair amount of leaf damage. So I'd pick Seabreeze, in this case.

o
RE: Best Screening Bamboo for Zone 10

Seabreeze survived Hurricane Wilma at my old zone 10b garden. If I remember right, the leaves dried out but all the plants came back, no problems. I've since ripped them out of the ground and transported to my new zone 9a garden, where they survived with no issues some freeze into the high 20s just months after transplant. I've got a line about 125 ft along the back which I divided in Feb this year. Using it as barrier on most all sides of property eventually. Actually I'll be growing a double line, creating a bamboo tunnel of about 300 ft along the perimeter of the property. Spreading is not a problem at all. I've been grown it for years. I do keep it about 5 feet off the fence though mostly so I can take divisions.

I've also oldhamii but use that more sparingly. If you don't need the height of oldhamii, I'd go with Seabreeze. It is a very beautiful & forgiving & cooperative bamboo. I think I will marry it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here