Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help pruning black bamboo

Posted by kevingalaxy Nj (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 16:33

hi all, i have a bunch of black bamboo which is lovely but it just looks like huge bushes at the moment. what is the best way to:

1. limit the height?
2. make it look nice? ive heard some ppl remove the lower leaves, ?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help pruning black bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 19:01

There is no way to limit the height. You can cut off the top of too-high culms, but there will be no regrowth and it may look butchered. To clean it up, I suggest the following:
1. Prune out completely any short/skinny/leaning/bushy culms at the base, and
2. Remove as many lower branches as you would like to reveal the culms.
Stand back and look at it every so often as you prune stuff out because, once it's gone, that part will never grow back.

o
RE: Help pruning black bamboo

Thanks, i did cut the top as they were getting way too high. I like the idea of revealing the culms so ill work on removing some of the lower branches. thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here