Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gieckboy

Help with Identification and Care of my Bamboo

gieckboy
16 years ago

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. I've searched the internet in detail but still haven't found the information I need.

I recently starting renting a house in San Francisco that has a beautiful garden complete with a nice screen of bamboo. There is an automated sprinkler system installed, but we found it was malfunctioning so we're not sure whether the plants have been getting watered correctly.

Can anyone help with identifying the bamboo in these photos and maybe provide some advice on how to get them back to good health?

{{gwi:407943}}
{{gwi:407944}}
{{gwi:407945}}

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Looks similar to my Pseudosasa japonica 'ARROW BAMBOO' or possibly Arundinaria gigantea 'RIVER CANE' except the leaves look thicker.

More photos would help. How thick are the culms and how tall are they?

Kt

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

I don't think it's Arrow: the culms look too thick and there would be a lot more culm sheaths showing as these are quite persistent with japonica. What is the branching pattern at the nodes? Two branches, with one bigger than the other? Or what? And how long are the leaves?

• gieckboy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. The leaves are 6-8" long and the largest culms are about 1.5-2" in diameter and 15-20' in height. Typical branching pattern seems to be one large branch with 2-3 smaller side branches coming off it at a common attachment point.

{{gwi:407946}}
    {{gwi:407947}}

• tey157
    16 years ago

What zone do you live in? Is it a clumper or runner?

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

I'm thinking Bashania fargesii. Take a look at the photos in the link below and tell me if it's a match...

Here is a link that might be useful: B. fargesii

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County