Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c_breer

buddha belly bamboo

c_breer
14 years ago

Does anyone know of a good website to buy budha belly bamboo from?

Comments (8)

• c_breer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and does anyone know if it does well indoors with enough light?

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Where are you located?

• c_breer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kansas is where i live. I was thinking of keeping it indoors for the winter sense they are so harsh around here. I was just looking for advice? Seeing if this was possible?

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I'm not sure that Buddha Belly is the best choice for an indoor bamboo. First, this is a bamboo that prefers full sun. Second, it only achieves its characteristic bulging nodes when it is stressed for water, and it may be hard to do that in a pot without killing it. This bamboo only is hardy to 30F, so you are correct that it won't last outdoors in Kansas. If you're still intent on getting some, I can give you some names of reliable vendors. It's up to you...

• c_breer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well if you dont think its is worth the time and effort then dont worry about it. Do you know of any bamboo that would work?

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

c_breer-
    Many bamboo can be grown indoors, but some do better than others. Below is a link that will give you some species names and specific care info. Most of the species in the link below also have photos if you click on the little, green camera graphic.

Feel free to re-post if you need further info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor bamboo

• c_breer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love the site! Do you think that it would work with a unheated greenhouse possibly i dont have one now but I'm thinking for the future

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Well, you can see from that site that they think Buddha Belly is ok indoors. I'm not convinced, but that's a pretty reputable vendor, so it's a possibility. I'm in a much milder climate than yours, and I do overwinter some of my tender bamboo in my greenhouse. However, there are several things to remember. First, you can look up bamboo hardiness ratings, and those are a good approximate guide. What a hardiness rating means is that is the temperature at which the bamboo will die. Second, bamboo in pots are less hardy than in the ground so you have to raise the hardiness number by about 10F to account for that. Finally, damage to the culms and leaves occurs well above the hardiness rating (maybe 10F-20F higher). All of this is to say that you may have a hard time over-wintering bamboo in an unheated greenhouse in your climate. The main problem for you is that, even if you have a very hardy bamboo, if it's in a pot, the pot will freeze, and, if that persists for several days, you are really doing damage to the root system. I'm not trying to discourage you, but just injecting some reality. I think you would really need to provide some supplemental heat in a greenhouse to make it an ok environment for bamboo.

If you want to check out more pictures of bamboo and their characteristics, try the link below. When you click on a specific name in the window at the bottom of the page, and then on one of the thumbnails for that species, you will see the hardiness rating and other characteristics for that plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

Sponsored