Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted Bamboo Culms...root rot?

Posted by amdg669 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 17:53

Bamboo culms have random discoloration throughout and dark, rotten-looking spots at base. The leaves are spotted and shredding. Plants were transplanted in early spring of 2008 from a mature grove (yellow groove, I believe) which received little to no maintenance.

I first noticed discoloration within a few months of transplanting, but they might have been there from the start. Last year's culms shot up clean but have developed spots similar to those of the existing culms over the course of the year. See link below for pictures.

The bamboo is planted underneath mature oak trees and receives mostly filtered sunlight during the spring and summer months with only a few hours of direct sunlight. There is a several inch layer of leaf mulch covering the soil.

1. What is happening?
2. What can I do?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseased Bamboo Culms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted Bamboo Culms...root rot?

Was the black on the culms there in the Fall? It could just be some cold damage. The leaves I wouldn't worry about, as it may just be winter damage.

Do all of the black spots form into the "holes", or do those dead areas form where no black was too? Some of it looks like animal damage (scratches or nibbles). When this year's shoots come up, try putting chicken wire around a few of the culms, to keep any squirrels, rabbits, or other critters from being able to touch the culms. (Make a 6" diameter "tube" of chicken wire -- don't have it touch the culms, but don't leave space so something can jump over or reach through.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here