Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xexorz

Planted Ph. Atrovaginata - plant looks ill - new to bamboo! help!

xexorz
14 years ago

Hi all,

I planted 6 ~1-1.5 ft diameter root balls obtained from local grower in early April. I dug a pit about 1 foot deep for each and six inches or so wider than the root ball and then filled the bottom in with good organic gardening soil. I planted the root balls on top of that and back filled so that the top of the root ball was level with the new back fill. The top of the root ball and back fill is about ~2 inches deeper than the surrounding soil (so it is like a depression that holds water - I read this was one method of doing things).

Any how - it has been several weeks and I am seeing quite a bit of leaf browning on most of the plants as well as "shredding" of many of the leaves . . . (the ends shred along the axis of the stem) and some are curling along the axis of the stem.

I have seen no new growth / new culms (not sure when they should start if at all this first year).

I have been watering every other day or so skipping a day or so and not watering when we get rain.

I'll try to get some pictures of what I am describing when I can get a digital camera but in the mean time I'd really appreciate some input from the vast experience that this forum represents!

Your input is greatly appreciated! "How bad is it, doc?"

-George

Comments (11)

• hank11
    14 years ago

Sounds like you did a good job of planting, be patient. First off your bamboo is a late shooter. This is good because it lets your plant have a little more time to get over the shock of transplant before it starts to shoot. second thing you have to remember is that you will not get shoots the size of the parent plant before it was dug. my advice now is to mulch heavily and keep it mulched and water it daily, I would wait until a few weeks aftr shooting before giving much fertilizer. Don't worry about the yellowing leaves, thats normal. I think this is one of the most beautiful bamboos. good luck

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Axial curling of the leaves indicates you're not watering enough, and you don't want this to be a frequent occurrence. Bamboo like to be moist, although not submerged in standing water for extended periods. If you're not good at gauging soil moisture levels, get a cheap (less than $10) moisture meter at one of the big box stores. It sounds like you did a good job of planting...unless the depression will hold standing water in your rainy season. I usually plant my bamboo in a mound that is higher than the surrounding soil (easier to patrol for stray rhizomes) and keep things well-watered. As for new growth, it's possible that you may not see any new shoots for a year or two until the plants are established. However, if they're otherwise ok, you should be getting some new leaves in the next two months (check the very tips of the branches to see if there are any little green spikes appearing).

• xexorz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(NEW INFORMATION)

First of all - Thank you both for the input and words of encouragement - it is very empowering knowing that there is a community of persons willing to share their knowledge out there - thanks!

I have some new information that may be of interest-

I noticed that the plants that are doing the worst have some very unique characteristics. At the point where the plant branches out (not sure what it is called) there is some black charcoal looking stuff dried up in there. I'm pretty sure it isn't part of the plant as I can peel it off. Inside is some white fuzz and a sticky liquid. Also, out of some of these black nodules there is a thin white "hair" that sticks out with a spherical droplet of sticky clear liquid... Is this some sort of infestation? I will try hard to get a camera on them today!!

Thanks again!

-George

• xexorz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe I figured out what my plants have...

"Noxious Bamboo Mealybugs" or Antonina pretiosa

see this link:
    http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/showphoto.php?photo=877&size=big

I will start a new thread addressing this newly discovered issue. Thanks to everyone who took time time to read this and special thanks to those who replied!

• xexorz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update - I killed off 99% of the mealybugs with regular vegetable oil and small amount of liquid dish soap mixed in warm water. I mixed the soap and oil first then water. 2 cups oil + 2 table spoons soap per gallon of water. Spray on HEAVILY... seems to smother them to death.

I will reapply soon as it has been several weeks. My plants are all growing new leaves and are now sending up multiple culms which is very exciting and unexpected for my first year!

I hope this info turns out to be useful to someone else - I will update you all on my progress.

-G

• nonyaz
    14 years ago

What kind of camera did you take the pictures with?

• xexorz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I took the photos with a Canon Powershot (older model). Why do you ask?

• nonyaz
    14 years ago

Just curious, the pictures looked really clear and sharp, almost like a good DSLR camera.

• xexorz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks much for the warm works w/ regards to photography. I shot these in macro mode.

Welp last year I eventually sprayed the plants with a topical pesticide (non systemic) just prior to the cold snap. Thus far this pre-spring I have not seen any activity w/ regards to mealybugs. I will keep you all up to date on how things go - if they re-appear I may try a systemic pesticide... (sigh) I really didn't want to have to do that... Fingers crossed!!

• xexorz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: Plants are still in good health!

Haven't seen and shoots yet this year but if I recall I didn't see any until June (previous year) so I suspect by June 15 to have some new growth and pics.

Sorry the pics above (links) are gone - lost the pics. For the curious reading this the first time, my pics looked just like these:

http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/data/536/1MVC-121F1.JPG
    taken from this page:

http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=842

Thanks again to all for the input.

XexorZ

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!