Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_2007

what type of bamboo is this

jason_2007
16 years ago

hello, can someone here help me identify this bamboo, the canes in the pics are last years pics but the grove has straight as an arrow canes 30 feet tall and 2 inches across and are dark green, the new shoots have a purplish color here are the 2 links: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/ghosthunter12/DSC00949.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:408188}}

Comments (7)

• jason_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the canes in the pic circling the tree are only sticking in the ground, i harvested them from my grove last year, the grove has spread to about 1/2 acre in 7 years, i will be visiting the grove in a few days to check on it and will put up some better pics soon.

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Kind of hard to tell. Post some close-ups of the leaves and some of the newly emerging shoots if possible.

Whatever it is, it seems to do very well in your area, which should also help narrow down it's ID.

Kt

• inversa
    16 years ago

although a few different species do geniculate -the zig zag thing - phyllostachys aureosulcata is a likely suspect, due to the zigs, the size in zone 6a, and the fact that it is pretty common. also your shoot color is proper for this, next time you visit the grove look for yellow grooves particularly visible on younger culms, the yellow will alternate sides of the culm - same side as the branch, as you go 'up culm'.

• jason_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey "inversa", i just looked up the species you mentioned on lewis bamboo.com and i remember some of the culms do have the ziz-zag feature and the culms DO have a sandpaper feel. i will be taking my camera to the grove later today and get some close up shots and i will check for the yellow grooves you mention,thanks for the info, i will post some new pics later on this afternoon or early evening.

• jason_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just got back from my grove and have uploaded a bunch of pics, and have created a new photobucket album just for the bamboo pics,maybe now someone can help me id my bamboo, there are 2 pages, just click the pic on photobucket to enlarge it.below is the link, hope someone can help me,thanks for any comments or possible id of my bamboo.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboolover

• inversa
    16 years ago

100% certain its the aureosulcata, the shoots are right on and there are clearly pictures of the yellow sulcus.

• jason_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for helping me id my bamboo.

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area