Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will oldhamii's culms leaf back out?

Posted by vajdak 8b TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 20:21

I have had some Oldhamii in the ground for about four years or more and each year here in central TX it loses most all of its leaves due to brief freezing temps. The culms remain a healthy deep green but the outer branches usually turn light brown so that part is certainly dead. But i've always waited till mid-summer before accepting that these deep green culms are not going to put out any branches or leaves. Right now for the past month new smaller shoots have shot up from the ground and some of the bases of the smaller culms from last year are sending out dense clusters of new branches. So even though these larger culms from last year look healthy should I just cut them out now? Are they inhibiting other culm growth in any way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will oldhamii's culms leaf back out?

They wouldn't be taking away from other growing culms, but they might not look pleasing.

Although this past Winter was another mild one, my Oldhamii took a big hit for some reason. The larger culms are all top dead. Last year they did as yours are doing, they remained green, but only a few grew leaves on the upper portions of the culms. They look bad now.

Anyway, any living green part of the plant, whether it is the leaves or culms, will be used in the production of food for further growth. I would leave them, at least until after normal shooting season in late July or early August.

Good Luck

Kt

o

Thank you Kinder,

I'll leave the old culms there. One benefit will be support for the new culms that tend to break in high winds from our thunderstorms.

-Scott-

o

I agree with what you said about the thunderstorms and the culms giving added support.

If you are in the Brenham area, you are a bit colder than I am here, and my Oldhamii seem to get freeze burn here but they get more cold hardy with age.

Keep them watered well during cold spells.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here