Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shooting in NJ?

Posted by jeffreydv z7 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 20:40

Does anyone have any Bamboo shooting in the New Jersey area yet? None of mine is but I did see some at a local grove starting to shoot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shooting in NJ?

Oh, I thought you were talking about something else...sorry!

o

Not yet here in Hillsborough, NJ

o

Just transplanted about 40 culms exactly a month ago and they have begun to shoot...took them from Bridgewater (they are shooting as well) and planted "down the shore" in Toms River. I was worried about them surviving because of the shock from clay to pure sand, but surprised to say there are about 10-15 shoots!

o

i'm in brooklyn and no shoots yet - and i'm concerned. i planted last year in April and the bamboo did very well (P. Vivax) that year, but no shoots yet...

should i be worried? - i'm new to bamboo...

o

I just found P. nigra punctata and P. nigra 'Henon' shooting today.

o

thanks for the responses everyone! what an amazing community outpour of support!

in other news - i have shoots today. so all seems well, although it appears they are much later than most everyone else's. either way, i am thrilled t osee they are going to make a spring comeback after all.

anyone else growing in Brooklyn?

o

Went away for the weekend and found 1/2 of my shoots eaten...squirrels!!! Chicken wire surrounding each shoot now and I sprayed each with hot pepper spray...bushy tail rats!

o

ktf42 -
What type did you transplant? Can you disclose the groove?
I am looking for Vivax, Mosu or something similar.

Also looking for Sasa Palmata.

Thanks

o

just your common Phyllostachys aureosulcata yellow groove...nothing special. just looking for a barrier as I have a large back yard but it backs up to a strip mall. As an update I planted 40 culms 6 weeks ago and today count 42 shoots...not a bad return. Only problem is getting them sprayed with the pepper spray and surrounded by chicken wire before the squirrels get to them!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here