Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

hardy clumpers

User
17 years ago

Could anyone out there suggest clumping bamboos for a zone 7 climate with warm to hot summers (including very warm summer overnight temps). Willing to try some exotics. I understand that Fargesia are winter hardy enough but fear that they will roast in the summer.

Comments (9)

• jeffreydv
    17 years ago

I have a Fargesia here in New Milford. I am not sure of the exact species, I lost the tag. It has done pretty well over the past 3 years but is a slow grower. This Winter I bought a Fargesia Scabrida and Bambusa Multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'. Time will tell how they do but I am hearing that the Scabrida might not fare to well in the heat.

• User
    17 years ago

NJOASIS,
    You should be fine with Fargesia Rufa.
    I have 2, and they did very well last summer despite the extremely hot days of 100 degreese in full sun.
    From sunrise to sunset they get full sun. No wind protection at all, and they are growing very well and sprouting like crazy right now.
    They grow very slow as far as height, but they are tropical looking and beautiful. They were so beautiful a couple of months ago when everything else was dead.
    I love them!
    Goodluck!

• tropicolorado_z5a
    17 years ago

Hey! Have been reading this forum for a while and just signed up. I put a couple of F. murieliae in last spring. Overwinter low was -17F in Dec & Jan w/ plenty more days w/ subzero lows. F. m. came thru w/ flying colors. Mulched well w/ shredded cedar mulch & pine needles. No protection otherwise. Already greening up w/ new growth w/in a couple inches of last years top. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Dave in Colo Springs

• tropicolorado_z5a
    17 years ago

PS Typically hot (upper 90's) and dry (incl very low humidity) here for weeks during summer. As long as I kept them watered they seemed to do fine.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions of Fargesia species. I learned my lesson with the spreaders. Now, I only grow the spreaders in containers (ever vigilant on their possible escape back into the ground). Are any of the chusquea hardy into zone 7 with protection??

• jeffreydv
    17 years ago

I e mailed Gib at Tradewinds about the Chusqueas in our area and he said they can have problems with our Summer weather. They tend to like cool nights. He would not guarantee a Chusquea in NJ. I would still like to give it a try myself.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yes, I don't blame you about the concern regarding the mountain bamboos (Fargesia and Chusquea). Despite how cold it has been from February to April, I am really learly about bamboos that cannot tolerate high summer temperatures (day and/or night). Are there any species of Bambusa that people are growing outdoors in a zone 7.

• jeffreydv
    17 years ago

I just got some B. multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' and B. multiplex. Time will tel how they do here. I am probably living on the edge with these guys.

• takumaku
    17 years ago

I've had great luck growing B. mutiplex 'Hedge' and B. mutiplex 'Fernleaf' here in VA. They weather the summer heats easily, but the winters are another story. Bambusa are treated more like a top-kill perennial than an evergreen bamboo.

You can try Thamnocalamus tessellatus or any Thamnocalamus ssp. for that matter as I've been informed that do really well in our hot & humid summers.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022