Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best soil mix for P. Nigra 3 g. plants?

Posted by angelanne zone 6 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 22:05

What is the best soil mixture for planting P.Nigra 3g. plants? and what is best spacing? My nursery says 3 to 4 feet space between plants. Thanks for any suggestions!
Angelanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best soil mix for P. Nigra 3 g. plants?

My P. nigra has done well in sandy soil and heavy clay soil. It spreads slower in clay soil and needs to be watered less often but is harder to divide, if you ever desire to do so.

Sandy soil, or even store bought potting soil work great, but will need a bit more waterings. If in a pot or raised bed, it will also need more water than an inground plant.

Spacing depends on how fast you want the area to fill in with bamboo. P. nigra is one of the most aggressive or possibly 'the' most aggressive that I grow. The first year I planted mine in the ground from a one gallon pot, it sent up a shoot 15 feet away at the end of the Summer, however that's not to say that there were culms everywhere. That was the maximum distance from the mother plant that a culm popped up.

In a confined area, it will quickly spread and fill in the inside of the barrier area. The third growing season will typically be your first best 'grove' year, no matter how close you plant the boo.

This is from my experience. Someone else in your area with a similar zone rating my be able to help you more.

Good Luck.

Kt

o
RE: Best soil mix for P. Nigra 3 g. plants?

Thank you Kt! You are such a great help!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here