Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threemonsters

Dang. Should I dig up my potentially dead Ph. Nigra?

threemonsters
15 years ago

I am typing on my wimpy itouch, so it's slow going and I can't upload my pictures! I bought a five gallon nigra off of eBay in January or so. Showed up with moist soil, etc and a sawed off, 2.5 ft tall 2.5 " thick culm plant.... I knew I was buying the root system, so I wasn't worried about no leaves, etc.

I popped it into a pot and watered it until I could get it into the ground... After digging the a gigantic hole for the installation of the bamboo barrier, I finally planted the Nigra.

Fast forward to now.... Texas has had it's fair share of below freezing nights, and now I'm thinking it's dead. My outdoor simonii JUST put up some shoots, but no sign of shooting from the nigra. The culm was never a true black, but is now more of a light green, mottled with black at the nodes. It's in full sun, so I wasn't sure if the color change was because of that?

I'm not sure if Nigra turns a death yellow like my other bamboo when they expire? But the point is, no shoots. I am tempted to dig it up just because it looks silly as a gigantic stump thing poking out of the ground... Ya think it's dead?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone