Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dang. Should I dig up my potentially dead Ph. Nigra?

Posted by threemonsters Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 22:47

I am typing on my wimpy itouch, so it's slow going and I can't upload my pictures! I bought a five gallon nigra off of eBay in January or so. Showed up with moist soil, etc and a sawed off, 2.5 ft tall 2.5 " thick culm plant.... I knew I was buying the root system, so I wasn't worried about no leaves, etc.

I popped it into a pot and watered it until I could get it into the ground... After digging the a gigantic hole for the installation of the bamboo barrier, I finally planted the Nigra.

Fast forward to now.... Texas has had it's fair share of below freezing nights, and now I'm thinking it's dead. My outdoor simonii JUST put up some shoots, but no sign of shooting from the nigra. The culm was never a true black, but is now more of a light green, mottled with black at the nodes. It's in full sun, so I wasn't sure if the color change was because of that?

I'm not sure if Nigra turns a death yellow like my other bamboo when they expire? But the point is, no shoots. I am tempted to dig it up just because it looks silly as a gigantic stump thing poking out of the ground... Ya think it's dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dang. Should I dig up my potentially dead Ph. Nigra?

Don't touch it. Let it alone for a few weeks and see what happens.

Mine hasn't shooted yet either, and it's an established grove. Give it time. If the culms are green, then it is OK. It's too early to throw in the towel.

Good Luck

Kt

o

Mine haven't come up yet, either.

Josh

o

Oh, thank goodness...all my others bamboo have sent something up, so I was really perplexed with the Nigra. Let me know when yours starts shooting!

o

Hmmm something to do with planters -vs- in ground. I split up a 50+ gallon of P. Nigra 2 months ago. 1/2 went back into the ground and the other half I split into 3 divisions and placed back in planters on the deck. All 3 planters have sent up new culms just this past week. The larger division in the ground has done nothing...some new leaf growth is all.
CJ

o

My belief is that the soil heats up quicker in the container, opposed to the ground temp staying cooler much longer. The boo is tricked to thinking it is later in the year. My container started shooting weaks ago, and I still have nothing from the Boo in the ground.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 17:46

threemonsters-
Nothing you've said makes me think it's necessarily dead. And, if it's alive, it might not even shoot until next year. When you shock a bamboo by dividing it, and then shock it more by chopping off the culm so severely that there aren't any leaves left, it can take a long time to recover.

o

Finally, a shoot...just spotted this afternoon.
I hope your Black Bamboo is waking up, as well!

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here