Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

It's sick- black bamboo but why?- pic

cheerpeople
18 years ago

http://community.webshots.com/photo/549530331/2915327120059033826zRqkkY

Houseplant. Even the new growth has some browing.

In S facing window .

I'm guessing it is either too wet or dry. Can you tell by this which one?

The top of pic is squiggly because it was shaking a bit while I scanned it.

Thx, karen

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of black bamboo

Comments (8)

• Cady
    18 years ago

Brown tips and leaves mean too dry. It's spring so light is stronger and the plant needs more water to go back into active growth. The soil should be moist -- though not sopping wet.

Check soil moisture daily -- stick your finger in and if the soil is dry more than 1" deep, give your bamboo a good deep drink! You can also begin adding a dilute liquid fertilizer.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Mine get too much water, and always have the brown tipped leaves...all year round. They are kept outdoors and in pots.

The in-ground nigra also has some browning tips. I have learned to just accept it as the norm here.

Kt

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kt and Cady,
    Thx for the info!

:)

Karen

• Cady
    18 years ago

Er...Let's call it the "paradox of bamboo." lol
    Also, tips can brown out because of dry air. The air sucks moisture from the leaves faster than the plant can replace it even if well watered.

So, another factor to check is your air humidity. Isn't it fun to figure out 'boo?

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Ditto on what Cady said. Brown tipped leaves on bamboo kept indoors in pots, is quite common, because of the dryer air.

Growing bamboo...a forever learning experience indeed.

Kt

• socalboo
    18 years ago

That photo looks all too familiar.

I find with my runners, burnt leaf tips happens with too much water. But with P. Nigra, I have seen only one plant that didn't have the afliction. It was in ground, pretty close to the ocean (less than a mile), with afternoon shade/filtered sunlight. Go about 3 more miles inland, put it in a pot, but still keep the afternoon sunlight, and it looks like your photo.

I've given up and got some atrovialaceas and lakos. P. Nigra and me just don't get along.

P.S. I have a 10g P. Nigra for trade if anyone wants it. San Diego area. :)

• shawnwilliams_2006
    18 years ago

Hi

I live in England and are having problems trying to grow both black and golden bamboo Phyllostachys Aurea, can somebody please take a look at the pic of my bamboo and tell me what they think is wrong with it. Im not sure if I have overwatered it or underwatered it, the leaves seamed to have turned yellow and brown

Appreciate any advice please

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2978805

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Shawn, at first glance, I would say it is getting too much water and/or it is in undesireable growing conditions, such as, too little direct sunlight or maybe bad soil conditions.

I would first let the soil dry out before watering. after a few days or weeks, it should recover, and if not, then you might want to replant it to another spot that gets good sun and has well drained soil.

Good Luck

Kt

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES