Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squirrel proofing shoots experiment

Posted by pontyrogof 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 23:12

I had some solar sidewalk lights with nonrepaceable rechargeable batteries left over from the previous owner, some rogue bamboo roots also from previous owner that were shooting up where I could use a new little grove, and some pesky squirrels. I don't know the bamboo variety, but the skinnier culms now have a chance to toughen up. How tall should I let them get before taking off their shields?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squirrel proofing shoots experiment

My experience has been that squirrels won't bother shoots about as tall as the tall one on the left. You definitely want to take off those covers before branches start, of course. I've used pieces of 1/2" hardware cloth folded into cylinders to protect new shoots. They have the advantage of being able to unfold them if I forget and leave them on until after branches start.

o

Oh, well. Will this one still grow?

o

What about this one. It has one leaf lower down. I get the need for tubes of hardware cloth.

o

I think I need to put a sock on this one until it gets safely past the roofline. I hear squirrels running around up there from time to time.

o

It looks like you have phyllostachys aurea which is a pretty invasive type which will run all over the place so I don't think you really need to do that much to protect it.

Even shoots that get nibbled off will just keep growing, maybe just a bit shorter.

o

Keep growing? What about this one? By the way, thanks to stevelau19 for the id, and daveh_sf for the anti squirrel tip. The golden comes from my uphill neighbor who used to have it ringing their back yard. The current people mow it down. I am so busy with much more invasive crap, English ivy, asiatic jasmine, kudzu, wolfbane, nandina, VA creeper, skunk vine, I am happy to have a weed that I can control by eating the shoots!

o

If it's not rising at all, that shoot is probably done for good, but the energy that would have gone in that shoot will go somewhere else. If you don't mind annual shoot tipping, then it should be fine to grow it.

If you are growing for shoot production, you may get better tasting shoots with phyllostachys dulcis.

o

Annual shoot tipping? I will google that. The big one at the roof didn't make it past another 12 inches.

o

However, as stevelau1911 says, energy goes elsewhere...the shoot at upper right was bit off at the ground after it had reached over a foot high, and within twenty four hours the shoot at lower left appeared (see in tp tube).

o

Still growing after tipped

This post was edited by pontyrogof on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here