Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_gardener

bamboo in zone 4??

stacey_gardener
14 years ago

I was wondering if there's a type of bambbo that I can grow in zone 4. It doesn't matter if it's invasive or how big it gets. Thanks

Comments (8)

• denver1
    14 years ago

P. (Phyllostachys) Nuda is said to be one of the hardiest & easiest of all Bamboos to grow. It suffers less winter dieback than any other variety...it is a large Bamboo (15-30' Tall). Survives to -20 F with little damage. I saw them advertised in the Raintree Nursery Catalog (Raintree Nursery.com), and plan to order some myself this month. I am also in Zone 4 and want to try them out.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

You can grow Fargesia Rufa 'Green Panda' in zone 4, however it may freeze to the ground in it's first few seasons unless protected.

Kt

• swcomm
    14 years ago

I'm in 4b and planted Fargesia Rufa last year as an experiment. Didn't cover it this winter and it seems to have made it, but probably 2/3s of the plant looks like it's been winter killed. Do I simply cut the whole thing back to the ground, or prune out the dead spots only?

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Where are you in zone 4?

I wouldn't cut any of the plant back until it starts to grow and has leaves. It has been damaged enough from the cold, so you don't want to further hurt it by cutting the 'live' culms and setting it back more.

The plant will become more established with time, but it's first few year's in the ground, it needs to get adapted and grow a good root/rhizome system for hardiness.

Kt

• swcomm
    14 years ago

I'm in Madison, WI. We're supposedly 4b/5a. Leaves remained on this plant all winter, but by now most of them are yellow and dry. Maybe it isn't winter kill, and is normal seasonal behavior for this bamboo? I do see green shoots in it -- we're having a very late, chilly spring here, so perhaps it's just slow getting started this season. Thanks very much for your advice.

It's a lovely plant and I really hope it makes it. I'd like to plant a lot more if it does.

• lkz5ia
    14 years ago

I've grown many species of bamboo since 2005, and they have all died down to the ground 4 years in row so far. As long as you don't mind it acting as a perennial, then can try various ones, but I have best luck with the Phyllostachys genus.

Some that are said to be cold hardiest:

Phyllostachys nuda
    Phyllostachys bissetii
    Phyllostachys aureosulcata
    Phyllostachys rubromarginata
    Phyllostachys parvifolia

etc......

• swcomm
    14 years ago

Wanted to follow up on this. My Fargesia Rufa has indeed made it thru a southern WI winter, it was just slow getting started in the spring. I would guess that it has more than doubled in volume, altho height hasn't really taken off yet - it's perhaps 2' high right now. Very impressive, considering I haven't done anything special to take care of or protect the plant over the winter. My guess is that with a little more attention on my part, this will be a very effective screening plant once fully established. Plus it looks great.

• wildforager
    14 years ago

swcomm,

I'm in Sheboygan, WI and I'd be interested in trading bamboo with you. I have Black Bamboo and Mosa which I plan to over winter in my greenhouse but I'm curious as to what will happen if they stay outside. I can easily divide the potted plants that I have, send me an email if your interested.

Thanks,
    Little John
    moonwise_herbs AT scbglobal DOT net

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks