Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelpep

Growing Japanese Timber Bamboo.Whats wrong?

michaelpep
13 years ago

Hi,

I order three ,three gallon containers of Giant Timber Bamboo. I choose a place with almost full sunlight,I fertilized the holes I placed the plants in and planed them all and then have watered them almost everyday.The soil in that spot is good fertile soil in a low area of the property and it seems they should have really made some type of appearance by now.They came to me with green tops like cane cut off about a foot high and roots etc.Now the green in the cane is turning a little yellow at the first inch of it.Does that mean there is nothing going on and the plant is dying ? Or it could it be that its not getting enough of something?Or are these plants just slow to get started but will take off soon? They have been planted about three weeks and I haven't really noticed anything accept the green turning a little yellow at the tops .Please advise? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Bamboo take quite a while to establish themselves. When I take a division and transplant it, it could take as much as 2-3 years for any new growth to appear. I am curious, though: were these plants topped to about a foot high and have no foliage? Also, you are aware that bamboo culms that are cut never re-grow, right? You only get new growth when the plant has gotten established and decides to put up new shoots. Lastly, where did you buy these plants? From a nursery, or someplace online, like eBay?

• alan_l
    13 years ago

Everything kudzu said plus stop watering every day! You may be causing the roots to rot. If it had leaves, the leaves will curl when the plant needs more water. If it doesn't have leaves or new shoots, then it's going to need very little water.

• bamboozler
    13 years ago

My guess is you're over-watering as it's a low area that may not drain particularly if your soil is heavy(clay). When temps are in the 90's I water each day, 80's every other day, 70's every third day. This is just a guideline and you should make adjustments accordingly, if plants fold their leaves lengthwise they want more water, if they yellow and droop they want less. A suggestion I would make is to not put small, insignificant plants in the ground. I purchase 1 gallon plants and re-pot them to a 5 gal. container. This allows me to place where they get the most sun and provide them with the best soil possible. By the end of the summer I have 6-10 4-5 ft. culms. If I have the pots I re-pot again to 10 gal. pots in Sept. which they fill with rhizomes thru the fall. I move them to a protected area for the winter and next Spring they should double the number of culms and add 3 ft. of height. These results assume due diligence in watering, fertilizing, mulching and protecting from wind and cold. Good luck.

• hank11
    13 years ago

Big ditto's on the water. If you mulch them good they don't need as much water even as they get bigger. Japanese Timber is a very late one to shoot. Patience!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA