Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn weed killer for bamboo grove?

Posted by treeguy_ny z6a WNY (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 1:06

My appologies if this topic has been covered before on the forum, I couldn't find any threads when I searched.

Does anyone have experience using a commercial lawn weed killer on their bamboo grove(s)? I have some young groves that are no where neare dense enough to shade out competing vegetation. I have a lot of non-grass (dicot) weeds that invade my young groves such as goldenrod, buttercups, asters, dandelions, etc.

Can I use a commercial lawn weed control product without harming the bamboo? I'm assuming yes because bamboo is a type of grass, but wanted to check and see if anyone has had experience before I test it on my own plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn weed killer for bamboo grove?

I had a small grove of P. nigra which got hit hard by the drought(s) that we've been experiencing here for the past several years. The grove became thinned-out enough to where it was opened up to weeds and vines and briars, etc.

I treated it with a mixture of Grazon and Remedy which I had left over from treating my fencelines here. I use double strength mixture for fencelines.

The bamboo was not harmed at all, and the grove was cleaned up quickly...a whole lot easier than weeding it by hand.

I guess it will depend on the type of herbicide that you will be using though.

Kt

o

Kt, Thanks for your input. I'll have to look up those herbicides. Has anyone else had a similar experience with other herbicides?

o

Also, Grazon and Remedy are both broadleaf herbicides which is probably what you will want to use since it is deigned to NOT affect grasses.

There are a number of other broadleaf herbicides that will work also.

Kt

o

Go to tractor supply and buy 2,4-d. This is the active ingredient of most broad leaf herbicides, possibly in remedy too. its been around for 30+ years and proven. They should have the amni and the ester kind. The ester kind is better, in my opinion, as it absorbs into the plant within 30min.
I mix my 2,4-d at 1TBL per gallon. I think it is 60 some odd percent.
2,4-d will not kill grass (bamboo) but will kill almost all broad leaf plants.

o

Thanks all for the tips on weed control! I'll wait until my boo's have finished shooting and then apply this stuff while the weeds are still small/most sensitive.

Speaking of shooting, we have had a REALLY late spring here in WNY. My 'spectabilis' yellow groove just started poking shoots out of the ground and none of my other phyllostachys species (atrovaginata, nigra henon, nuda, and rubromarginata) show any signs of shooting yet. All the other trees and plants are equally behind. We're just starting to get small leaves expanding out of buds here, and some trees aren't even that far along! The evening lows are still below 40 degrees some nights; I feel bad for the farmers as their growing season is starting to get impinged on.

o

Oh, and don't treat your grove, even with a broadleaf herbicide, during shooting as it very likely will harm 'new' growth, but NOT the overall plant.

Good Luck.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here