Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Bamboo for privacy screen SE TX

Posted by tonyscape SE Texas (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 07 at 2:18

Hello,

I will be planting a bamboo privacy screen along approximately 160' of my 60% shade (filtered light through medium trees)1/2 acre homesite. I was planning on several groupings of unique and interesting bamboo varieties and have come here for ideas.

I am familiar w/ Buddha Belly, Giant Timber and Alphonse Karr in my capacity as Senior Landscape Designer at a local design-build firm and I have excellent sources.

Trouble is, I am a "plant nut" and am looking for unusual but hardy cultivars for my project...might possibly even propagate them and sell them to my customers. That's why I have come here...to learn about any and all possible collector, unusual or just plain practical bamboo that meet my criteria.

One variety will have to be planted in a narrow drain area, so moisture tolerance is a must for that choice.

Height can be anywhere from 12'-15 but a 50' stand could be dramatic, there is plenty of
room available.

I would like to ask you this question:

If it were your lot, what would you plant?

I am here to learn everything I can about Texas bamboos. Your help will be appreciated.

Tony
www.lynnslandscaping,ci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Bamboo for privacy screen SE TX

There are many Bambusas that will do well for you, but most will probably grow taller than 15 feet. Even my Golden Goddess, which is listed as growing to 10 feet in height, grows to about 15 feet here.

B. tuldoides 'Ventricosa' BUDDHA'S BELLY and B. tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei' seem to tolerate more moist soil than other bambusas.

B. oldhamii GIANT TIMBER grows to over 40 feet tall here but is very erect which I consider desireable.

B. multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' gets the sooty mold at the joints here which can look ratty sometimes, but otherwise is a beautiful plant. In fact, the B. multiplexes are the ones for you to choose from if you want cold hardy and shorter clumpers.

B. multiplex 'Fernleaf Stripestem' FERNLEAF STRIPESTEM is another shorter bamboo with tiny leaves.

The cold hardiest of all my Bambusas is B. textilis or
WEAVER'S BAMBOO which grows to over 40 feet in height and forms a 'vase' shape for a very well-groomed look. Quite drought and moisture tolerant.

Some of it's sub species are smaller but look just as beautiful. A couple are: B. textilis var. glabra and B. textilis var. albostriata.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here