Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernard_bruxelles

Can I drop a boo?

Bernard_Bruxelles
19 years ago

I was thinking about some noise protection.

boo is great: invasive , remains green in the winter, we can choose hight...

but the place is not mine... It's a high way side...

to make planting quicker I was thinking about dropping some boo rhizome with soil in linen bags. total weight about 10 kg (20 i don't know what is your mesurement system in the States)

I would drop them... and let god take care of them. Over here god is giving his water without counting...

Species?

- Sasa Palmata

- P. Nigra Hennon.

- P Vivax

- P. Dulcis (seems creasy invasive here)

All do great jobs here.

Comments (9)

• bambooo
    19 years ago

Work in pairs, one drives and drops you and your plant off then drives around the block once or twice and picks you up. Dress like a road worker. Bring a clipboard and a hard hat,look official. Plant multiple species.
    Use established plants, the payback will be sooner and more sure.

• retto
    19 years ago

I bet just dropping them on the ground would work. It certainly would take off if you DIDN'T want it to! That is, if you simply put some bamboo by the side of the road to dispose of it, it would certainly realize this and grow vigorously! I like bambooo's idea. You could also dig some holes before hand, and then quickly scurry in with the plants later, thereby minimizing your expossure.

Good luck!

DST

• hoosier52
    19 years ago

In early March I dug out 2 large rootballs of Aureosulcata - they had produced many culms in a tight clump and these rootballs were probably around 150 kg each. I had severed all of the rhizomes and I did not want these clumps so I dragged them into the woods and left them. Despite a long period of no rainfall, lots of wind on the exposed roots, and many nights of frost/freeze, I can see new culms coming out of them. Maybe the bag idea will work.

Any one want these? Come and get them!

• lelanddunne
    19 years ago

well heres an idea for you, fill your pockets with boo rhizome , and a very small hand shovel or something you can lift a patch of dirt up with., take several garbage bags with you, and pick up trash near the road side. as you reach down to pick up some trash, shove a root in the ground, and continue on your way.. you plant your boo, and clean up the road side at the same time.

• joefalco
    19 years ago

Maybe a cordless Drill and a bulb Auger would work and it's very fast to dig holes with one.

I planted alot of bulbs really fast using one..

• Bernard_Bruxelles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It seems you all have understouth want I wanted to do.

I already have result with daffodils.

lets make the test... I will keep you posted.

• hoosier52
    19 years ago

Bernard - some states in the US - Ohio & Alabama are 2 - are experiementing with bamboo planted next to highways for noise control and safety issues (cars sliding into bamboo groves instead of across the median, and bridge overpasses). Is there any chance that you could get the local government to try an experiement and have them plant the bamboo there?

• Ackar
    18 years ago

So how did it go?

Did you get the boo planted? and if so how are they doing?

• Bernard_Bruxelles
    Original Author
    18 years ago

no plantation yet:

I have to wait until march: at that time the winter is finished here, the boo will have a lot of water.

The growth can then appends... the results will be seen 2 years later.

I already did it with Daffodils. worked wel.

Sponsored