Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All bamboo shoots safe to eat after cooking?

Posted by 1dahlia4me none (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 7:17

I know most of you want to grow your bamboo tall and not eat it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this: Are there any kinds of green running bamboo that are NOT safe to eat after being cooked? I have no idea what kind of bamboo is in my yard -- all I know is that it's a very invasive kind that was here when I moved in. Now there are some shoots out there that look rather tasty. :) I know the shoots of some kinds of bamboo can contain cyanide, but I also read that it breaks down during cooking. Anyone know more about this? Or are those who have tried it no longer around to post ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All bamboo shoots safe to eat after cooking?

It's my understanding that fresh bamboo shoots all have some level of cyanide-containing compound, but the levels vary with the species. Eating of fresh bamboo shoots without proper processing can sicken or even kill you. I've never eaten any of my shoots since I grow my bamboo to look at, not eat. From what I've read, bamboo shoots are typically de-toxified by peeling, slicing thinly, and cooking in boiling water for sufficient time. Since I'm not an expert on this, and you don't know what kind of bamboo you have, I'm not going to give you specifics or guarantees on what will make consuming them perfectly safe. If you want further info, take a look at the Google search results below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo shoots +cooking +cyanide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here