Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allen456

Bamboo vs. Kudzu

allen456
10 years ago

Is there an herbicide safe to use on bamboo that will help control kudzu that is trying it's best to defeat my bamboo?

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

I've used Grazon and Remedy together on my P. nigra black bamboo. It got rid of all weeds and vines and the bamboo had no ill effects. However, I do not know if it will kill Kudzu.

Kt

• botanicalbill
    10 years ago

I would attempt a strong dose of 2-4d. You can pick this up at tractor supply in concentrate. You should only have to mix 1-2 Tablespoons to a gallon.
    This will not hurt any grass or the bamboo.

• allen456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

I've been holding the kudzu at bay with glyphosate, but have refrained from spraying it on the bamboo.

This bamboo is a screen alongside active railroad tracks that sit less than 60ft from my house. There's a 14ft asphalt alley between my yard and the bamboo, hope that's enough to keep the bamboo from my yard (at least during my lifetime). Unfortunately 14ft of asphalt doesn't inhibit kudzu in the least. :(

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Allen-
    I agree that there's nothing much that fazes bamboo; otherwise people would not keep posting here asking how to remove it.

I will point out that the asphalt alley will not keep the bamboo from spreading. It will make its way underneath...likely within your lifetime. And, although bamboo will not harm concrete roads, I have found out from direct experience that when rhizomes go under asphalt they will cause humps and cracks much like tree roots do. That's because the rhizomes are heat seeking and they rise toward the asphalt surface and deform it when it is warm and pliable.

• allen456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even on a heavily traveled asphalt alley? It's been almost 10 years and so far, so good.

With all the rain we've had over the past couple of months, I have never seen the bamboo come up like this in the spring. Incredible!

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

If the alley is heavily traveled, that could possibly prevent or reduce the rhizome damage I described. I can only speak to what I observed with my own 4" thick asphalt driveway, which developed several foot long humps before I noticed them and severed the rhizomes to prevent further damage (maybe I should have left them to see how far the rhizomes would go!). I have also seen rhizomes travel up to 40' underground before surfacing (although this was not under a roadway).

So, to answer your question, if you have 10 years of observation and have seen nothing yet, the traffic and the distance -- plus the particular makeup of the base under the asphalt -- may be enough to prevent the bamboo from making it across the road. I would be interested to have you post again on this in the future if you have any "surprise visitors"!

• allen456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

6" of rain (so far) this month is sending the bamboo into hyperspace! Unfortunately it's doing the same for the kudzu. I do see some "humps" in the asphalt that no doubt are bamboo, runners or shoots, but nothing poking through (yet). I'll try to get a photo posted before the 24d and after.

Quick question, if I fail to rid the grove of kudzu during my lifetime, will the kudzu eventually "win" or will the battle never end?

• l_james
    10 years ago

I believe that Tordon will kill the broadleaf plants and not the grass which bamboo is.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County