Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ph. Nigra Shoots

Posted by bambookid524 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 8:57

My Ph. Nigra is a small plant that has two shoots so far this season. One of which is growing rapidly. The other shoot hasn't grown for about a week and a half now. It's really weird, i am wondering if it broke. It still feels fully attached and doesn't look dead at all. Can anyone help me? I want the shoot to live!

Thanks,
-Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ph. Nigra Shoots

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 08 at 12:27

Sorry...nothing to be done. It may continue to grow or it may not. Shoots abort all the time, even on mature plants.

o

Here are some photos if it helps any.

This is the either dead, or just not growing shoot
Photobucket

This is the new culm that was a shoot about a week ago and came up after the "dead" shoot.

Photobucket

Both

Photobucket

Although it is probably not possible, if you have a way to help me save this shoot, please let me know. This is the only Ph. Nigra I have left.

o

It looks alright to me. Just keep it watered, and it'll probably be fine.
I've been really impressed by my Nigra, which was planted at the end of February.
Many, many shoots are sprouting...even from the culm-less rhizome cuttings. So,
I'd say have faith. Two of my shooting culms seemed to have died earlier in the
season, but now they've simply "bushed" out around the stunted central culm.
A few culms shot up in the last three days even.

Josh

o

looks fine to me, just leave it alone , ive noticed on my nigra, that sometimes it stops growing for a few days or so, or even a week, using its enengry for an other culms . my vivax grew a shoot 2ft tall, then stoped, after a week, it sprang another foot..... be calm..

o

Death has occured... It died. It is outting up a few more, hopefully they wont do the same thing. :/

o

Leave it there, you might get a bush out of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here