Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastino

Bamboo stakes?

mastino
14 years ago

Whats the name of the verity of bamboo that nurseries use for staking up plants? Im trying to find some sprouts, thanks!

Comments (7)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Are you talking about growing shoots for eating? There are a number of varieties of bamboo used for garden stakes and some of them don't necessarily produce the best shoots for eating. So. I'm trying to figure out if your question is: "What bamboo species should I grow to get tasty shoots?", or are you asking something else?

• mastino
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI Kudzu9,
    I am interested in a bamboo that doesn't get much bigger then a fat crayon in thickness,to use for stakes to prop up small plants in pots. I didnt know how many verities were out there & also didnt know I could pick 1 thats edible! So to answer your question, first & foremost Im looking for a bamboo to use for plant stakes but if there is 1 just as good thats also edible.....well I have to have that one!
    Thanks!

• boomantoo
    14 years ago

Most of the phyllostachys species are good for garden stakes but to keep the diameter small you must either cut off the tops or rhizome prune it, the phyllostachys species are great for eating as well but you must cook moso. Arundinaria gigantea is also good for stakes, but I'm not sure how edible the shoots are. I use phyllostachys aureosulcata for my garden stakes and it works very well even the taller canes with large diameter.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

mastino-
    There are about 1200 species of bamboo, and there are several hundred that would grow fine in your Zone. All bamboo have a natural size limit (height/thickness), but they often don't reach that for at least 5 years. Also, if you plant a bamboo, you may not get any aboveground new growth for 1-2 years. The largest group of bamboo that are hardy in your area are the Phyllostachys species, and most of them will produce culms as small as 1/4 inch at first, but getting up to 1"+ over time. Some of the Fargesias, many of which are also quite hardy, will produce culms that don't get quite as big in diameter.

Do you live close to any nurseries that carry bamboo?

• mastino
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone Im looking up the phyllostachys "family" now. 1200 Yiks.... Imm looking & seems to be to many for me a newbie to narrow it down LOL. I see some lovely yellows with stripes, I WISH there was a nursery near me where I could go look at them. Any suggestions on the name of a good 1 to order would be great! Thanks!

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

mastino-
    Two things:

1. What city do you live in or near?

2. Below is a link where you can check out photos of all the Phyllostachys species in one place (go to the alphabetical species list box at the bottom of the page and find the Phyllostachys listings); if you click on any thumbnail, it will also list size and other important characteristics. Maybe this will help you sort through.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

• joefalco
    14 years ago

Where are you located? You might be able to find some bamboo that you can dig up.

I had a garden web member give me a few different types that got me started.

Sponsored