Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpw_chi

Warm enough to plant the bamboo yet? (Chicago)

jpw_chi
16 years ago

I received by mail order a Golden Bamboo and a "Black Jade" black bamboo. The Golden Bamboo already looks a little stressed. I've been putting them out on the deck by day and bringing them in by night.

Night-time temperatures through Saturday are expected to be in the upper forties, maybe low fifties. Is it warm enough yet to plant them up in large pots on the deck? Or are they too tender?

The last frost date in Chicago is May 15, although some sources say April 15.

Thanks.

Jim W.

Comments (4)

• inversa
    16 years ago

plenty warm, let 'em out! i assume that you will be pot growing these? neither aurea nor nigra will survive in the chicago area in-ground. if the 'golden' you have is one of the aureosulcata forms then it will do as well as anything but golden is the common name for aurea but is often used for other bamboo. aurea and nigra are zone 7, perhaps 6b bamboos but neither winters over here in zone 6a, ignore the temperature ratings usually given for these, both fail before you get down to 0F, the nigra is actually hardier than the aurea.

• jpw_chi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup. Pretty much everything I grow is in pots, as my primary outdoor space is a roofdeck.

• subtropix
    16 years ago

You better get it into the ground immediately. Bamboos that are transplanted in high heat and drier conditions will suffer more. I like to transplant my bamboo in the very misty and rainy month of April. This year we had over 13 inches of rain in April so wasn't too concerned with dry roots. Good luck!

• chele_bamboo
    16 years ago

i agree///most likely the black with top die in winter as chi town too cold..im in tn and my P.nigra top died...the P.nigra hale doing ok thou but im farther south than you.

the best time to plant or dig temperate bamboo is in the winter..before it starts to shoot.

president sec/abs