Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting bamboo in a small space

Posted by abnormalsanon Philadelphia, PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 11:56

I have two 10-foot yellow groove plants, as well as one young, 3-foot yellow groove in large pots on my small cement patio. Next weekend, I'll be ripping up the cement to create a small garden. I would really like to plant the bamboo in the ground so it's not quite as exposed to the heat/cold. I'm hoping the bamboo will grow tall and thick to provide some much-needed shade and privacy.

But as you can see from the picture (linked below), this is a very small space--only about 6 x 8 feet or so. The patio area is surrounded by cement sidewalks and my house on 3 sides; the 4th side (on the right in the picture) is a chainlink fence with my neighbor's yard on the other side.

Could I contain the bamboo in a shallow raised bed (1 foot high) with a narrow trench around it, and watch carefully for rhizomes? I realize that down the line, I will have to trim the roots to prevent it from getting root-bound. Is there something else I should try?

Thanks for any and all advice...

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting bamboo in a small space

Sorry, I should add that I don't plan on using the whole space for bamboo--only about a 3 x 5 ft space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here