Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirhidesingrass

P. Nuda in Michigan

sirhidesingrass
12 years ago

So last summer I ordered some P. Nuda (snow hardy) and it grew quite well. I had a 3 ft whip shoot and two smaller 1.5 ft whip shoots and the main portion of the plant grew to about 2.5 ft tall with a decent amount of skinny brances.

{{gwi:409541}}

Once winter hit I kept telling myself "get some burlap, or tarp or something to cover it up".....it never happened. The bamboo endured one of the colder winters we have had in a while and it lasted well into March.

There was some damage to the leaves but over all there was no top kill. All of the previous shoots were still in tact, as well as the whip shoots.

Now on all the existing branches there is new growth, as well as 10 new shoots emerging from the ground. This was the part I have been looking forward to for so long, those odd looking cones piercing out. I am so excited to see how tall they get. I will be posting pics of the new growth/etc once I find my camera charger (just moved).

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Looks like the kind of growth that would lay flat under snow and be protected by it. If that is what happened, the true test will come when it has a clump of stiff culms that keep the foliage up in the cold, cold air.

A friend had an established patch of a plant received under this name freeze off in USDA 8.

• theyardman
    12 years ago

Be careful what you wish for. This bamboo, in Michigan can become a very hardy plant. There are two stands (forests) on Elizabeth Road just south of M-59 (Hall Rd) in Clinton Township behind the Prepaid Legal Services location.

They dwarf the ranch house that they are behind and must be in the 30-35 foot range. They get weighted down with snow if it stays for awhile (like this last winter). However, they get a bit tinged by March/April but green right back up by May 1st.

Enjoy!

• sirhidesingrass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The snow covered it on and off, and I think that is why it lasted as well as it did. Although there were def some weeks were it was exposed and taking on the full harshenss of the winter. New shoots are around 2 feet now, and I still CANNOT find my charger for the life of me.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

I've had my P Nuda for 2 years now, and it puts up shoots regularly each year, but it seems to be stuck at the same size as yours, and doesn't seem as vigorous as most other species. Maybe it just needs another couple years to get serious.

t

• sirhidesingrass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stevelau,

My plant is about to double in size if not more than what is in that picture. I have 10 new shoots and another 2 sprung up this morning. all the shoots are 3ish feet now and are starting to branch off. What kind of soil is yours in? and are you using any fert? what are the conditions?

Mine gets sun from 12pm on, it has been raining almost every day here and the days it does not rain i use a miracle grow watering solution. It is also planted in a 50/50 mix of miracle grow potting soil and regular dirt. seems to be doing the trick.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

Mine is in my own potting mix which is a mixture of peat moss, pine mulch, compost, milorganite, and dried leaves, but one justification for the under-performance is because this was a solid root mass division which may be inhibiting it's growth. Once new culms harden off, I plan on pulling this stuff out, and making smaller divisions.

I have many other species such as atrovaginata, dulcis, and parvifolia which are around the 1 inch mark this year. Propinqua beijing seems to be the quickest to size up even though I've had that one for only 1 year.

Sponsored